Voigtlander Lenses...ever discounted?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chadfx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    Has anyone ever seen the Voigtlander 17.5mm or 25mm discounted? I don't think they're the type of company to hold rebate deals, but figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has ever heard of such a thing. I've only seen the 17.5mm for less than $1250 when it's been a used or demo model.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    pfft.. not likely. I just saw an early Voightlander from the 1890's sell for over 1200...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 1890's is almost old enough for a discount. Another 10 or 15 years and it should come down in price a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  5. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I got my 25mm f0.95 second-hand, mint [the previous owner thought it too heavy], for $700 [Oz] from my favourite 2nd hand dealer here in Hobart last year. It is MINT, with metal hood and caps. For the 50mm f1.1 [Leica M mount] I paid about $805 [new] on eBay from a NZ dealer. Look around, it's worth a wait, and check all the second-hand shops. Because the CV lenses are all mechanical and built like little crystal tanks, they last well — like Leicas! Really worth waiting for to find the right one/price. Good luck.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Nope...

As well as Camera Pro (mentioned by Bhupinder) I'd check out Mainline Photographics Micro Four Third lenses - they ship internationally tax-free. I've bought from both stores and found them fantastic - especially Mainline. For some reason the Voigtlander prices in Australia seem lower than everywhere else...

My god there's another Tasmanian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're a rare breed. Out of interest which second-hand dealer are you talking about? Not Walch Optics?

• Like Like x 1
  7. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi nickthetasmaniac, We have discussed Noktons before... Yes, I have bought gear from Mainline Photographics — my 45 macro; very good service and prices. Yes Walch Optics. I have bought and sold Leica gear there for about 26 years now. That is also where I got my Oly 11-22 recently. Give us a call if you are in Hobart [62280189], love to chew the fat and compare addictions to high-speed lenses. How is the 17mm? All the best.

8. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the tips!...guess I won't be holding out for any specials.

I wound up ordering from Mainline in AU, hopefully it won't take too long to make it over here to the US. Cheers.

9. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi Chadfx, did you go for the 25mm? It is a great lens, especially the very close [about 1:4 focussing ability] — open wide and enjoy. The focus is just so easy! All the best.

10. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    I ordered the 17.5mm version, which supposedly will be shipped out next week (I hate waiting...ugh).

The 35mm equiv FOV is much more in line with what/how I tend to shoot (wider).

A friend at work has this lens, which helped get me off the fence. They really are finely crafted. It also focuses super close like the 25mm, so I think I will find it to be a very versatile lens (aside from the manual nature of it).

I took a quick look at the OLY 17 1.8 in a store recently, but I think I'd rather put my money into something that can yield a shallower DOF look that I still miss at times and seems to be regarded as a super lens all around.

Size and weight are not my favorite features of the lens, but it's a necessary trade off and it's still WAY lighter than most of my full frame gear.

Cheers, -C

11. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a new lens that is partially disassembled and the focus mechanism is seized ... probably part with it for a good price. Not what you were looking for ...