1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander Lenses...ever discounted?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chadfx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    Has anyone ever seen the Voigtlander 17.5mm or 25mm discounted? I don't think they're the type of company to hold rebate deals, but figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has ever heard of such a thing. I've only seen the 17.5mm for less than $1250 when it's been a used or demo model.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    pfft.. not likely. I just saw an early Voightlander from the 1890's sell for over 1200...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 1890's is almost old enough for a discount. Another 10 or 15 years and it should come down in price a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  5. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I got my 25mm f0.95 second-hand, mint [the previous owner thought it too heavy], for $700 [Oz] from my favourite 2nd hand dealer here in Hobart last year. It is MINT, with metal hood and caps. For the 50mm f1.1 [Leica M mount] I paid about $805 [new] on eBay from a NZ dealer. Look around, it's worth a wait, and check all the second-hand shops. Because the CV lenses are all mechanical and built like little crystal tanks, they last well — like Leicas! Really worth waiting for to find the right one/price. Good luck.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Nope...

As well as Camera Pro (mentioned by Bhupinder) I'd check out Mainline Photographics Micro Four Third lenses - they ship internationally tax-free. I've bought from both stores and found them fantastic - especially Mainline. For some reason the Voigtlander prices in Australia seem lower than everywhere else...

My god there's another Tasmanian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're a rare breed. Out of interest which second-hand dealer are you talking about? Not Walch Optics?

• Like Like x 1
  7. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi nickthetasmaniac, We have discussed Noktons before... Yes, I have bought gear from Mainline Photographics — my 45 macro; very good service and prices. Yes Walch Optics. I have bought and sold Leica gear there for about 26 years now. That is also where I got my Oly 11-22 recently. Give us a call if you are in Hobart [62280189], love to chew the fat and compare addictions to high-speed lenses. How is the 17mm? All the best.

8. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the tips!...guess I won't be holding out for any specials.

I wound up ordering from Mainline in AU, hopefully it won't take too long to make it over here to the US. Cheers.

9. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi Chadfx, did you go for the 25mm? It is a great lens, especially the very close [about 1:4 focussing ability] — open wide and enjoy. The focus is just so easy! All the best.

10. chadfx

chadfx New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2013
    I ordered the 17.5mm version, which supposedly will be shipped out next week (I hate waiting...ugh).

The 35mm equiv FOV is much more in line with what/how I tend to shoot (wider).

A friend at work has this lens, which helped get me off the fence. They really are finely crafted. It also focuses super close like the 25mm, so I think I will find it to be a very versatile lens (aside from the manual nature of it).

I took a quick look at the OLY 17 1.8 in a store recently, but I think I'd rather put my money into something that can yield a shallower DOF look that I still miss at times and seems to be regarded as a super lens all around.

Size and weight are not my favorite features of the lens, but it's a necessary trade off and it's still WAY lighter than most of my full frame gear.

Cheers, -C

11. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a new lens that is partially disassembled and the focus mechanism is seized ... probably part with it for a good price. Not what you were looking for ...