Voigtlander 42.5mm f/.95 Review at Lenstip -- Interesting comparison with the PL43

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MAubrey, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Lenstip has a review of the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/.95 out now. It's competitive with the Panasonic, but not quite as sharp for the most part. The Panasonic has incredible peak corner resolution, but the Voigtlander's corners sharpen up sooner, even if they plateau a little too much.

Here: http://www.lenstip.com/395.1-Lens_review-Voigtlander_Nokton_42.5_mm_f_0.95_Introduction.html

Voigtlander Resolution
    4012_roz.

PL43 Resolution:
    4007_roz.

On the other hand, the Voigtlander does far better with longitudinal CA:

Voigtlander
    103724_voi42_ca.

PL43
    103868_pan42_ca.

...but worse on lateral CA:

Voigtlander
    4013_aberracja_15.

PL43
    4008_aberracja_11.

And worse Coma than the PL43

Voigtlander
    4015_voi42_koma.

PL43
    4010_pan42_koma.

The Voigtlander has better Vignetting though, especially at f/1.4
    Voigtlander
    103727_voi42_win.

PL43
    103920_pan42_win.

I think the lenstip summary is a good one:

Anyway...it's an interesting comparison. Certainly something to think about.

• Like Like x 5
  2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    LoCa test reveals a bokeh aspect of the VL43. it looks like DOF is deeper than PL43. PL43 bokeh looks also smoother and the DOF seems shorter. frontal and back bokeh looks equally pleasing while on the VL43 back bokeh looks like Some washed out in focus plane. It shows to me that VL43 is an ancient optical design like my oldest rangefinder lenses while the PL43 looks way more awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Interesting. The Nokton is a great deal with the cost comparison- if you're a MF sort of fellow that is.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    No...it isn't an ancient design. Rather what you're seeing show, I would say, is how very difficult it is to may a super contrasty f.95 lens. And at the expense of noise, that can be corrected in post. The difference between this Voigtlander and your old rangefinder lenses is that while the Voigtlander has low contrast at f/.95, the resolution is all still there. That is very much clear from the resolution charts. An old Canon or Leica 50mm f/1 would certainly not be able to attain 40lp/mm at f/1. If Voigtlander had wanted to achieve the kind of wide-open contrast we see with the Panasonic at f/1.2, the lens would have been significantly larger than it already is.

5. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I'm seeing the same thing. This is certainly a case where numbers alone won't tell the whole story.

6. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    thank you very much for posting this information Mike! something i've been wanting to know!

• Like Like x 1
  7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Fascinating! Saw this as I'm writing up my own review of the CV42.5mm, and it certainly has its quarks. Sharpness and DoF at f0.95 in particular seem highly dependent on shooting distance. What the first images show to me is that the lens exhibits a lot of ghosting at nearby shooting distances, which factors into the DoF rating, but regardless of the reasoning, the f1.2 seems to show narrower DoF at that shooting distance. It would have been interesting to see how the two lenses compare when shooting from typical portrait/headshot distances, as that's where the Voigtlander seems to be sharpest and best wide-open.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    A third ($500) cheaper, 1/2 stop faster, and probably better build quality? I like the Voigtlander!

9. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I'm not talking about the resolution or the constast, but just the bokeh that happens just behind the plane in focus. To me it looks identical to the bokeh I get from RF my jupiter 3 (50mm f1.5), canon 35 F2.0 and 35 f1.8, and the nikon 85mm f.2...

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well...I'm not entirely sure what you mean then. If you're talking about fuzziness (I guess you could call it?) of the bokeh behind the plane of focus, that's a result of the spherical aberration of the lens, which I would expect was an intentional decision of the part of Cosina since it is fairly close to the gaussian blurr that is often held up as an ideal. But then, I'm still not entirely sure if we're talking about the same thing...

Also, I'm guessing you mean Nikon 85mm f/1.4? They never made an f/1.2 at that FL.

11. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    To me PL43 performs much better at f1.2 than VL at f1.4 - better contrast, shallower DOF, better bokeh. It looks like PL wide open has less DOF than VL wide open? Huh. I also agree with orfeo that VL's bokeh looks somewhat fuzzy, akin to fast legacy glass.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Sweet - as this is mostly a portrait lens, most people would want to shoot at f1.2 90% of the time with this lens. The other 10% of the time you will want to shoot at f4 i.e. for group shots, landscape, etc. This lens really delivers at 1.2 and f4.0

13. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    Interesting comparison.

I have been eyeing a voigtlander 42.5mm for awhile now and believe it will make a great pair with my voigtlander 17.5mm.

The pana 42.5mm seems like the overall better lens. But I tend to prefer lens without ois for my olympus camera.

If the quality is anything like the pana leica 25mm, which is by far my favorite lens, it will be the lens to get!

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

14. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I still think the Nocticron is priced for professionals instead of consumers. One can buy a voigtlander 42.5/0.95 and a olympus 45/1.8 and still have change leftover for the price of the Nocticron. It seems like the Nocticron is still higher in terms of quality but I'm wondering if the nuances of its rendering justify a $600 premium to the Voigtlander. Some of us won't even be using the OIS feature of the Nocticron. I have both the Voigtlander and the Olympus right now and considering the 17.5/0.95 just for its low light ability. Is the Nocticron micro contrast and DOF at 1.2 going to be enough or will portrait artists choose to go with something else?

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, you certainly can't go wrong with the CV17.5mm f/.95.