1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander 35mm Comparisons

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by apt-efx, Mar 5, 2010.

1. apt-efx

apt-efx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Hey all!

I have been wanting to get the impressions from people who have used the various CV 35mm lenses since I have not been able to find a really good comparison review for all of them..:biggrin:

As far as I know, there are the 35mm f1.2 Nokton, f1.4 Nokton, f1.7 Ultron, and f 2.5 Skopar.

Thanks!
    ps. And how do they compare to their 40mm counterparts? I am currently researching for a prime around those focal lengths.

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    apt,

Of course I do not have all of the 35s to talk about. But I have the f1.2. Your question inspired me to make it my lens for the day. I used it at a local farmers market and at a shopping mall. It is an enjoyable and easy lens to use. It is large enough that the focus and aperture rings are easy to distinguish by feel. I found it very quick to focus wide open and easy to count the clicks back to my intended aperture. (Or just watch the EVF until the DOF is what I wanted.) All-in-all a great lens to use on the G1.

However, it is a large and heavy lens. I do not mind its size. But it is larger and heavier than any other lens I use (except the Nikkor shift lens). I really like this lens, but I suspect the 1.4 is as nice and appears to be considerably smaller.

Here are some of the shots from today. They are all resized to 25% of original to save some space. There is NO other post-processing.

Nokton3507.

Nokton3506.

Nokton3503.

Nokton3502.

Nokton3501.

3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Great Shots... I love the 1.2 as well... Just got it earlier this week, but already a fave..

4402256719_fbe99f23bf_b.

4. IronChef

IronChef New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2010
    Related to this I am also researching for a prime and would love to see some samples of the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 and any comments as to why it is regarded better than the Nokton 40mm f/1.4.

Regards
    IC.

5. apt-efx

apt-efx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Great shots people! Now I shall sit down and think if the extra stop is worth all that money.. does anyone know how the sharpness of these lenses compare?

6. fortytwenty

fortytwenty Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    I went for the 1.4

I have only had the luxury of using the VOIGTLÄNDER NOKTON CLASSIC S.C 35mm F1.4 so can only comment on this one lens.

I got the lens to use in combination with my GF1 as a walk round set up for a recent trip to Paris:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortytwenty/4421030264/" title="a 19th century iron lattice tower by fortytwenty, on Flickr">"364" height="500" alt="a 19th century iron lattice tower" /></a>

I really liked it, and when fitted to the GF1 it is still a (jacket) pocket sized combination which was great for daytime shooting of "the sights" but also fast enough to use in the evening too.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortytwenty/4371170988/" title="NOKTON by fortytwenty, on Flickr"> 4371170988_8d21e01ef6_m. "240" height="240" alt="NOKTON" /></a>

As stated, I have not used the 40mm so cannot comment other than that I went with the 35 as I already have a 50 and so it seemed like that was where the gap was.

I think another reason was that the specs said that the 35mm focussed down to 0.6m whereas the 40mm has a closest focussing distance of 0.7m. That's only 10cm, but it felt important at the time!

I was only weighing up the differences between the 40mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 when I was looking, but to be honest if you're weighing up the differences between the various 35mm lenses then you have to ask yourself whether it's speed you want (but at the expense of size), in which case go for the 1.2

Personally I feel the 1.4 was a good choice for me as I have a few fast lenses at 1.2 but of course they are much bigger. The 1.4 is a great compromise as it is still pretty fast but the lens itself is small so the GF1 still retains it's pocketability.

Feel free to look at my CV 35mm images here:

GF1 + VOIGTLÄNDER NOKTON CLASSIC S.C 35mm F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortytwenty/sets/72157623462631432/

Cheers

7. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i think you might have that reversed. the 40 is highly regarded, has less distorsion and is sharper at 1.4 that the 35. and is cheaper.

the 1.2 is known for it's bokeh and the 2.5 is possibly the sharpest of the bucnh but a touch contrasty.

check out the various flickr groups dedicated to the lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sexymaru

Sexymaru Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2010
    35/1.4 would be my choice considering size and utility.

35/1.2 is, of course, superior but I dropped DSLR and went with M4/3 due to size, and taking a big lens just made that pointless.

9. richie15

richie15 Guest

My copy of the 1.7 was very soft wide open. It was ok from f4.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am renting right now the Nokton 35/1.4. I don't think I'll purchase it. It is not giving me much better results than some of my cheap legacy lenses (like my SuperTakumar 50mm 1.4 or my OM 50mm macro). The difference would be, of course, the focal length (which is why I rented it to check it out). I'm thinking I might try wider (like the 28mm f2.0)

11. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=2141

in it a shot of the 28 1.9 voigtlander the precurser to the voigtlander m mount 28 2.0 ,a larger shot available in the gallery to check critical sharpness

i own the 15 4.5 the 28 1.9 and the 50 1.5 and love them all , nothing is perfect... but imho they are all worth owning in spite of some weaknesses s[in the 28 and the 15]

12. richie15

richie15 Guest

Keen to know what you think the weaknesses are. I have got a 28mm to try this week and as I have posted a number of times I love the sharpness and colour of CV lenses on the GF1. If I think the 28mm is up to scratch then I think I may let my Panasonic 20mm go.

13. richie15

richie15 Guest

Sent back the 28mm, razor sharp in the middle but not in the corners, not for me. I am keeping the 20mm pancake.

As an alternative to the CV 35mm you could get a Zeiss G but you will need a wheel adapter.