Voigtlander 25mm version ii - anybody used it and compared with version i?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tomO2013, Jul 13, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013

I have read some reviews stating that the version II of the voigtlander 25mm just adds clickless for video but retains the same optical formula as version I.

However what has also been observed by a number of reviewers is that the version II of the lens is noticeably sharper with more contrast wide open - perhaps there were revisions to the optical formula or difference in glass used to account for the weight difference between the two?
    I've seen no mention of improvements such as floating elements similar to a Noctilux or anything exotic like that added.
    What I would like to know though, is if anybody here has tried both side by side and what your opinions were ? Is this likely sample variation or actual improvements in optical design?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I've read that it has no optical improvements, but I believe the Ver. II lens is heavier/bigger than the original, which would suggest a revamping of its internals....I, too, would be interested to hear from people who have used both.
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I've seen a few other people comment that the version 2 is noticeably sharper on amazon.com. Wishful thinking having bought version 1 already?
    Or actually is the case?
    Either way wide open practically all F0.95 lenses (which there are very very few) have some form of softness to them. The voigtlander 25 version 1 is actually relatively quite sharp for what it is, certainly sharper than many good small format lenses that I have seen wide open and has a little of that fast glass glow effect which can be wonderful for a film like rendering effect to it in portraits. It just isn't as sharp as the PL25 is wide open, which in fairness is well over a stop slower.
    Local camera shop is getting the a version 2 in stock in the next few days. I'm hoping to shoot the two back to back and see if I can see any difference if at all...