Voigtlander 17.5mm for m43

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D@ne, Apr 3, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Not sure if this has been posted yet...start saving!

Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 M4/3 lens listed on Amazon Japan | Daisuki Photo

Amazon.co.jp￾F ƒRƒVƒi ƒtƒHƒNƒgƒŒƒ“ƒ_￾[ NOKTON 17.5mm F0.95 M4/3ƒ}ƒEƒ“ƒg 178309: ‰Æ“d￾EƒJƒ￾ƒ‰

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt/english/micro-e.html

Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 is the new designed wide-angle lens exclusive for
     Micro Four Thirds mount. The angle of view 64.6° is equivalent to 35mm wide lens
     (Crop factor : x2).
     This lens is achieved to get amazing high speed of F0.95 at wide open with the most popular
     focal length. Same as well reputed our Nokton 25mm F0.95, this lens is also able to be
     shot under insufficient lighting circumstance and gives you a beautiful Bokeh.

■ Exclusive for Micro Four Thirds Mount
     ■ 13 elements in 9 groups with Super High Refractive element and Aspherical element.
     ■ Newly adopted Selective Aperture Control System
     ■ Full Metal Barrel with high toughness and durability
     ■ Manual Focus for Smoothly and Perfectly focusing
     ■ 10 aperture blades brings you a beautiful Bokeh

Focal Length : 17.5mm
    Aperture Ratio : 1 : 0.95
    Smallest aperture : F16
    Lens Construction : 9 Groups 13 Elements
    Picture Angle : 64.6 °
    Aperture Blades : 10
    Nearest Distance : 0.15m
    Macro ratio : 1:4.0
    Diameter x Length : φ63.4mm x 80.0mm
    Weight : 540g (without hood)
    Mount : Micro Four Thirds Mount

• Like Like x 2
  2. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I was just looking over the specs for that earlier this week. 35mm seems like a better FoV than 50mm considering you're stuck manually focusing, but $1k+, 1.2lbs, and they couldn't work in an AF servo? I'd probably only consider it if Panny ever decides to include focus peaking in their FW - always having to MF is a pain.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Very interested :smile: I've hardly used anything else since I got my Nokton 25mm and I'd prefer the 17.5mm length...

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I've always been intrigued by the 25mm Voigtlander, but the PL25 just made more sense (economically, and practically). This one is more interesting to me, but the weight scares me a little...as does the price. Looking forward to reading the reviews though.

5. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    GF3 and GX1 have focus peaking and it's wonderful!

6. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Typically the longer the focal length, the more you have to worry about accurate focusing due to the nature of the subject that these lenses were designed to shoot. Telephoto lenses are (mainly) for capturing single objects that are far away - focus is very important here because you want to make sure your bird, celebrity or architectural detail is nice and sharp. To add to this, your subject might be moving and you'll need to refocus quickly (pain in the butt and one more thing to worry about with MF compared to AF) As you get toward the normal part of the spectrum (50mm - or 25mm with the m4/3 2x crop factor), you're more after portraits and street photography. Sometimes you want a shallow DoF, sometimes deep. If you're after shallow, focus is important... if you want a lot of background then it's not as important to get it razor-sharp and getting in the general area with MF is good enough. When shooting wider (35mm or 17.5mm with the m4/3 2x crop), you're usually after landscapes, architectural shots or scenics where you want a lot of your image in focus, and you're not going to be too close to any one object in your scene. In this case, the ability to quickly focus is far less relevant, and often you don't really even need to refocus from shot to shot. Of course there are creative ways to use all of these lenses that are the opposite of what I said (far-away landscapes with a tele or shoving an ultrawide in someone's face), but I'm talking about the typical uses of these focal lengths, and that, the mechanics of DoF and practical experience thus far is why I'd argue that AF gets less important as you go closer to the wide end of the spectrum.

7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I can't find any reference to that on Google and I know they didn't ship that way - do you have a link to an article that talks about this? AFIAK, Sony is the only mfr that has focus peaking (visual highlights of what is in focus for use with manual-only lenses) like this:
    How 'Focus Peaking' works

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Voigtlander doesn't make AF lenses (though their parent company Cosina does). They're marketing their products as low-end Zeiss (Zeiss is also owned by Cosina) - well-built all manual lenses for sophisticated amateurs.

It certainly cuts down on production and R&D costs though.

DH

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Huh?

10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Not saying that one FoV is better than another, just that for the most part, AF becomes more important or helpful as the focal length gets longer, and I'd be more likely to buy a MF-only wide (17.5mm) than an MF-only normal (25mm).

11. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Zeiss is NOT owned by Cosina. Cosina makes Carl Zeiss lenses under licence from Carl Zeiss AG of Oberkochen, Germany.

Cosina is not the only licensee. Sony is also licensed by Carl Zeiss AG to make Carl Zeiss-branded lenses for Sony Alpha and NEX systems, p+s cameras and camcorders. Nokia uses Carl Zeiss branded lenses in its cell phones.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I stand corrected. My point is that interchangeable Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses (though not Zeiss Alpha) are made by the same people in the same factories...

DH

• Like Like x 1
  13. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    Sorry I thought you were referring to the zoom to focus. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

14. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you set the lens at f0.95, the depth of field is so thin that critical focusing with my 25f0.95 was never a problem. The 17f0.95 should not be much a difference in terms of focusing, even with a bit more DOF. Focus peaking may not be needed. Btw, I have put my $100 refundable deposit down for the 17f0.95, hoping that it will be as great as the 25f0.95.

15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ricoh also has focus peaking on the GXR :) "Ricoh offers two "Focus Assist" options that, essentially, enhance the EVF image with a shimmering white outline that appears around objects with high local contrast. This is similar, it seems, to the "peaking" focus system used in many video cameras as well as certain still cameras from Sony, for example." Ricoh GXR Mount A12

For what it's worth, I've never had trouble manually focussing the Nokton 25mm, even at f0.95. It's such a sharp lens with such good micro-contrast (especially above f2) that scenes appear to 'snap' into focus when viewed through the GH2 EVF. The beautifully tactile focussing mechanism also makes it a joy to use :smile:

If the 17.5mm performs similarly to the 25mm with improved corners (the only real optical weakness of the 25mm) then I'm getting one... I could travel the world with just the 17.5mm, 25mm and 45mm in my little Domke F10... Actually, I probably will :smile:

16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Yeah, I guess that's a good point - I only have a GF1 (though at $600, I'm a day or two away from pulling the trigger on a GH2 kit), so trying to make sure a MF-only lens is in focus under a variety of lighting conditions while looking at the relatively low-res back panel of my camera can be a hassle (and the LVF1 is worse than useless). Couple that with easily losing your place using MF assist, it makes MF'ing a moving subject tricky. My thoughts on the matter may change when I have an EVF, but I still think the wider the lens, the less of an issue it is (in general). Maybe I'll spring for a Voigtlander after I get the GH2 :)

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'd love to get either the 17mm (or the 25mm obviously). But given that it would increase the total value of my kit by almost 40-50% makes it somewhat hard to justify (to the wife??).