1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigtländer wide M-mount lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Broder alias, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Broder alias

Broder alias New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2011
    Hello!

This seems like a nice place! I will share some photos of and from my m4/3 setup shortly =)

I am very much thinking about buying either a Voigtländer 21mm Color Skopar,
    or a Super Wide Heliar 15mm.

Whats stopping me is that Ive heard folks talk about light coming in between the lens and the adapter (if I understand it correctly) and ruining the pictures.
    I am especially worried about this becuse I have a cheap chinese M-mount adapter.
    This site: Voigtlander Lens Tests
    says the Voigtländers are made for film and are noot good on digital so that also worries me.

Does anyone have any experience with theese lenses or theese issues on their micro 4/3?

I realy want one of those sweet little lenses =P

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    These may not be very good choices with the native lenses that are available. The 15/4.5 is about two stops slower than the Panasonic 14/2.5 and extends quite deep into the body. The 21/4 is more than two stops slower than the Panasonic 20/1.7 and also extends into the body. There's only 17mm between the flange and the sensor and there's anti-aliasing and UV filters in between.

Both Panasonic lens perform extremely well. Check out the image threads for each lens.

If you really want those lenses then maybe you should consider picking up one of Cosina's rangefinder bodies and use them on film. I have the Bessa R and it's a pretty nice camera. Not a Leica, but it does the job.

Fred

3. Broder alias

Dec 6, 2011
    Hi fredlong, thanks for your reply!

I already own the panny 20mm 1.7 and its a good lens but I realy prefer to use a manual aparture.

Do you know for a fact that they extend to far into the body?
    Becuse my measurements with the adaptern tells me it should at least not touch the sensor, but maybe the optical performance is degraded if it is too close.
    My camera is a Panasonic GH2

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, I don't know how far these lenses extend into the body, just that you should check.

If a physical aperture ring is important to you then give them a try. With the smaller sensor you may not experience the color shift at the edges as on the M9.

Fred

5. Broder alias

Dec 6, 2011
    Thank you!
    That gives me a bit of hope.

I still need some facts tho before I sell my Panasonic pancake.

6. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I'd second what Fred said. The cost and slow aperture makes these lenses great as ultrawides on their native format of 35mm. On :43: they're just so-so wides and wide normals.

I've had two copies of the CV 25/4 in ltm mount. An excellent and cheap wide angle for a Leica outfit but a very slow normal on :43:. Here's the 25 used loosely on the street (Leica M2, Agfa APX100).

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/59974321@N00/1351853810/" title="V-day, the interview by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr"> 1351853810_09b743bb30. "500" height="293" alt="V-day, the interview"></a>

For samples, I'd head over to rangefinderforum.com. They'll mostly be on 35mm though.

7. Broder alias

Dec 6, 2011
    Hello markb!

Do you have any samples of it from an m4/3 camera?

8. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
  9. Broder alias

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks alot!

This is what I was looking for =)