Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm F0.95

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ian., Jun 20, 2013.

1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  2. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    FYI - There's another thread about this lens which was started when the lens was originally announced.

OT - I'm curious to see the feedback from people that end up buying this lens, as I have the 17.5mm version and I like it a lot. Manual focus feels real good on the 17.5mm version and it's built like a tank (heavy though).

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
  4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Why won't they give it autofocus?

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Most if not all voighlander lenses are manual focus (all of the ones I've seen for m4/3 and M-mount are manual).

6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I wish they would invent an autofocus version. I'd be all over it if they did.

7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Trying to manually focus on an eye with the lens wide open will be a nightmare..... it's hard enough with slower lenses, never mind 0.95.... I lost count of the number of binned head shots I took with my Yashica 50mm 1.7, and that was after faffing around with zoom/focus/zoom out etc. There wasn't a happier person than I when the Oly 45mm appeared on the scene.

8. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    My feelings exactly!

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Darn, two of mine are red. :biggrin:

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Add focus peaking & presto! :biggrin:

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Still too slow compared to auto focus..... I really don't get the manual focus thing unless it's only for subjects that don't move at all! (that obviously excludes all humans). :smile:

12. TDP

TDP Guest

I have 3 Voigtlander lenses and absolutely love them. The m43 25mm is a fantastic lens for flowers and the 17.5 is a perfect street walk around lens, both have crazy close MFD.

13. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm. Manual focus and an aperture ring sure makes it easy to be precise with DOF. I only own one auto lens for my camera, and I don't ever use it.

I really wish they'd stop making more Noktons, as my envy list is getting mighty expensive.

14. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I'm right there with you buddy.

15. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm hoping my inbound Fujinon 25mm f/1.4 satisfies me in the 25mm range. I'm not happy with any other 25mm I've put my hands on. If not, I'll be trying to choose between the PL and the Nokton.

42.5mm is an interesting length to me. I don't do any portraits; maybe I'd be more excited if I did.

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    There are people who get manual focus, and there are those who don't. No point trying to convince either.

I enjoy the convenience and speed of AF, but I enjoy the sense of control and tactile experience of MF just as much.

17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I agree, sometimes I prefer autofocus...other times I prefer manual...And when I have the time I love taken photographs on my Mamiya Medium Format Film camera, meter manually, do everything manually. Results are still stunning, especially when scanned in via the Imacon....

That is why I am interested in lenses like these, I find some of the good autofocus lenses almost too perfect, makes it look fake. Hope that makes sense...

18. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I relate it to guitar amplifiers. Some amplifiers are designed to most precisely reproduce the instrument. Some are flawed in this reproduction, but in being flawed have their own character. Rectifier amplifiers do not at all accurately reproduce the instrument, but many people prefer the sound of old tube amps over modern amplifiers.
    I view lenses from a similar perspective.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^ Great analogy. I love my old Fender Princeton Reverb, much nicer than any SS amp I've played through. :smile:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

20. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

In what price rnage is that Fujinon?

On topic, I've yet to even touch the Voigtlanders. I just have to stare at virtual pictures of them on the inter webs. Oh, to dream!