Voigtländer 20% off. Time to buy?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Sniksekk, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I`m in a spot where I need some input/help/reflections.
    My local photo-equipment dealer got a 20% off all Voigtländer this weekend.

My current gear is Olympus with OM-D 10, Oly 17mm 1.8 and Oly 45mm 1.8

According to one or more pages, Olympus are working on theese lenses.
    12mm F1
    25mm f1
    50mm f1
    Any more?
    If that is true, then will those lenses have AF and picture stabilisation?

If yes to that question, then buying 17,5mm 0.9 would make sence?

Before I read the rumor about Oly 12/25/50 F1, I thought of buying Voigtländer`s 17.5, 25, and 42.5.
    After the rumors my interest in them fell drastically.
    Now I`m just confused. :(
    I need some input and I don`t think my wife is the one to ask theese questions ;)

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think Oly has announced the new lenses to be released by Nov 2015 and these primes aren't on the list. See the thread about the 7-14 pro for the official pictures.

These fast primes are exciting, but are likely to be 2016 or later. They could cost a Loy more than Voigtlanders too...aiming at Pana/Leica noctilux, etc...

Good news for you though it's that voigtlander will always be marketable, so if you buy one used or on sale you should be able to sell and trade up and get most of your investment back. Time you don't get back, so if you want one and will get use out of it, go for it...not at full retail though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm quite sure there is no annouced super-fast prime in the near future.
    So IF there is something it will be not before the second half of 2016 and the first one could be one that you do not need.
    Are you willing to wait a couple of years?

I think that Oly and Pana will only release AF lenses, IS depends on focal lenght. Anyway these are Oly lenses so no IS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    That`s some really irritating good points you guys got there. "time you don`t get back...."

You are right about the price (if the Oly rumours are true), they could be insane expensive so yeah.
    It feels like it`s better to go with what `s on the table, rather waiting for a new table that might never come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oly lenses will never have image stabilisation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There was a patent filed for a 25mm f1.2, so that's more likely than a 25mm f1.0. Look what Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 costs and then guess what a 45mm f1.0 would run if it had AF and was sharp (probably about the same since it is faster but not Leica).

Since you have an O-MD all lenses have stabilization from the camera, so that is not really a concern. No Olympus lenses will have in lens IS, though, that is for sure.

• Like Like x 1