1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigt 10.5/0.95 announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by kwalsh, Sep 16, 2014.

1. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    • Like Like x 3
  2. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    Wow. Finally a fast ultra wide prime.

Exciting times for micro four thirds indeed.

Posted from my lovely Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

3. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    This is certainly impressive, and will deliver exquisite film making. However, personally I do not require f 0.95 for stills... I am still waiting for something like 7mm, 8mm, or 9mm prime lens at around f2 (rectilinear) for my starscapes and star trails.

In the meantime, I make do with my Oly 12 f2, which is quite good actually.

4. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Interesting 10.5mm if corrected and not fisheye?

Defiantly gets to shopping list and will be a must buy if sharp at full open so can used for astronomy photography. Will be great too in indoor photography and landscape.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I was just going to say that. This is going to be an ideal astrophotography and indoor event lens.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Micro Four Thirds just keeps getting better and better!

7. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    M4/3 needs more 7-45mm scale objectives and then more 150-500mm as well. Then it will become the ultimate format.

8. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    You can't tell from the pictures but based on the specs this new CV lens is 10mm larger in diameter and 2mm longer than the CV 17.5. I really liked the CV 17.5 but it was too big / heavy (IMO) and always seemed to be left at home. I like this FL a lot but the sheer size and weight of this lens is off putting, for me anyway. Looks like the min. focusing distance is slightly longer on this new lens but not by much, that's one thing I really miss with the CV17.5.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    zomg...what a beauty! I haven't been able to bring myself to pick up any Voigtlanders yet (too heavy/too big)...but man...now we'll have FOUR 0.95 lenses! How cool is that?

With how hard infinity focus is on M4/3 bodies with the focus-by-wire lenses, this is a heaven-sent for many reasons for those into astrophotography. Depending on the price, I might be very interested in this (in a year or so when the price will inevitably drop a little).

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Impressive, but falls short for me. It needs to be an 7 or 8mm to get me to line up for it, then the size and weight would be worth it.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I owned a bunch of the M mount Voigtlander lenses (now sold) and the one thing I found with all of them was that I had to stop down one or two stops to get rid of chromatic aberrations/purple fringing. As I haven't ever owned a dedicated m4/3 lens, especially the f0.95 ones, I have no idea how well they perform wide open. If they have to be stopped down for best performance, I'd rather they worked on making lenses that perhaps weren't as fast, but were really good wide open.

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Ray,
    I owned several screwmount Voigtlander lenses.. I never had an issue with CA. The wide angles did vignette a lot. The best performers were the 50/2.5, the 50/1.5 and the 75/2.5. I sold all of my Voigtlander gear a while back to finance some newer gear. I have Benn tempted by the fast Voigtlander glass but never have sprung for one as of yet. I did see that Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest is taking $100.00 preorder deposits on the 10.5. The refunds are fully refundable if you change your mind. If you have never visited his website you should do so at
    cameraquest.com

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've owned the 12mm f5.6, 15mm f4.5, 28mm f2, 50mm f1.1 and 75mm f1.8, all of the fast lenses exhibited pretty gross purple fringing wide open. I also had the Minolta CLE 40mm f2 and 90mm f4 and a Leica 135mm f4 Tele-Elmar, none of these exhibited any purple fringing.

I've been visiting Cameraquest for years, even bought stuff from there, but manual lenses don't attract me anymore. The only interest I'd have in this lens is for astrophotography, but since it's an infrequent activity for me, buying such a lens just for this would be wasteful.

14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I must admit my ears pricked up on this but then for the use it would get it is too high in price and like OzRay I don't want to be using manual focus lenses, its also in the area of occasional use as far as angle of view goes.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    the 17.5mm, 25mm, and 42.5mm f/.95's are all sharp wide open and stopped down their resolution is either record breaking or near-record breaking. Before the 75mm f/1.8 appeared the 25mm f/.95 was the sharpest lens available for μ43. The 17.5mm isn't quite as sharp as the 25mm in the center, but it is sharper wide open and better across the frame than the 25mm. I haven't used the 42.5mm, though, only seen the test numbers.

16. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Sharp wide open? I don't know what you were using but I couldn't buy any of those because they were soft until f/1.8-2.0. For portraits all would work as soft skin etc is allowed. But otherwise not usable wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe the copy of the CV 17.5 that I had was off but I never thought that it was all that sharp wide open. Even when using the magnification function on the EM-5, my images from that lens wide open weren't very sharp. I didn't expect this lens to be vey sharp wide open and I didn't mind as the subject would just melt seemlessly into the background. I had the M-mount CV 12mm and the vignetting was so bad that I sold it, I was using on a M6 and an M-E (there is no in camera specific profile set up for this lens for correction). IMO the CV m4/3 lens that I had handled vignetting a lot better than the M-mount CV that I also had, however they were not the same FL so it's not exactly apples to apples

18. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Splendid fine news for the GH2/GH3/GH4 movie makers out there.

Not for me though, I shoot stills and I need AF.

19. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Ray,

To backup what MAubrey is saying the Voigtlanders are fantastic pieces of glass and particularly for portrait work where the vignetting wide open adds to the character. For landscape the voigty 17.5 only makes sense when you stop it down, but then again you would be doing that anyway in the general sense for landscapes :)

Wide open I've found the 17.5 to be very good in the centre, better than the 25mm mk 1 voigty and certainly sharper across the frame. Similarly with the 42.5 - I get the impression that the 17.5 and 42.5 share a similar coating that is different to the one used on teh 25mm mk i. The mk ii voigty 25mm uses new coatings and while the optical formula has officially not changed - it is a heavier lens, and many have reported it to be sharper in the centre , across the frame and to have improved contrast wide open. I've tried the mk ii version and I was struck that it was quite sharp in the centre for what it is. While I don't own the mk ii or mk i 25mm subjectively from my non scientific hands on time, I would say that the mk 2 is sharper than the mk 1.

All of the voigtlanders class leading or near class leading in terms of sharpness when stopped down. They really are worth trying. The real question is I would ask any prospective new owner is whether you like the bokeh character or not. I personally love it, but it is definitely not for everybody.

With regards to CA wide open - yes I have experienced more CA with the Voigty wide open than for example with my Nocticron. It's not a good characteristic of the lens, but it is easy to detect in the viewfinder i.e. it's not subtle when it occurs. It can be corrected in post, but often times if I adjust the focus and angle of composition slightly it goes away immediately - so you can avoid it because it is definitely detectable on very bright days on high contrast edges. That being said CA goes away when you stop down a stop. So you can work around this either way. I wouldn't let CA be a deal breaker for me.
    The real deal break (I feel anyway) for most potential owners should be - 1. are you prepared to manual focus? 2. Do you like the bokeh character?

--Tom.

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Now that I have the E-M1, I'm back to using my 4/3 lenses, so getting manual focus lenses just isn't worth it (especially as I found focussing slow and painful with the M mount Voigtlanders etc that I owned). There is no way that the Voigtlanders will be better than my 4/3 lenses and if I have to stop down to say f1.8, they provide not benefit at all. I can shoot at f2 with my 4/3 lenses without any CA and the fraction of a stop difference between f1.8 and f2 is nothing. The bokeh with my 4/3 lenses at f2 is quite fine, especially if you have to shoot in bright, contrasty, conditions where CA can be at its worst.