Voightlander 17.5mm & Speedlight - Weird

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by marklikesit, Nov 8, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hey guys,

I just picked up a 17.5mm Voightlander today. Everything's fine and dandy until I tried using my speedlight with this lens. Everything looked ghosted. It's not really a blur but it looks like a double image - like when you look at 3D images without the glasses.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or used a flash with this lens before?

Cheers,

Mark

2. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    This is what i'm talking about. Look at the double up:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/marklikesit/8166453662/" title="Voightlander &amp; Flash Weirdness by Mark Soon, on Flickr">"1000" height="598" alt="Voightlander &amp; Flash Weirdness"></a>

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    What shutter speed is that taken at?

4. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    1/10. Shutter speed.

But this is not blurring because of movement. I've tried this with my other lenses and they're all fine. Only the Voightlander shows this stereoscopic effect.

5. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    It seem's more like a double exposure, like what you get with a 1st or second curtain flash effect.

6. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I thought that was it. But I had it on the same settings and I used a different lens at F2.5 (pancake Panasonic), but it didn't happen. Everything was normal. Put the voightlander back on and voila.

7. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Guys, sorted! It was the OM-D's image stabilization. It was set to 50mm by default and for this lens, I dropped it down to 18mm and the effect is gone!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1/10sec with speedlight? Sounds like you are doing whacky stuff like me! If I ever get the effect I'm working on I'll post a shot.

Hint: motion blur + freeze action ...

9. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Yeah Rob, love the background blurring out and freezing action on the subject :)

But yeah, this issue I had was not of the blurring sort. Thank god it got sorted out.