Vizelex RhinoCam medium format on NEX

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by speedandstyle, Mar 10, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just found this new toy for NEX users. It turns the NEX into a medium format 140 mp camera, well kind of. Rather than me type all the info, here is the link, what do you all think? Should they make one for m4/3 too?

Vizelex RhinoCam for Sony NEX E-Mount Cameras

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I think they have spectacularly failed to launch this... I actually was on their mailing lis t and got an email to look at it and push me to order, without actually ever quite explaining the product and showing me how it worked

as far as I can see you fork out 500 for a NEX, 500 for this thing... and then you need a medium format lens... lets say 500

and then you are basically stuck stitching together a set of pictures

maybe it has some benefit for architectural or landscape guys

K

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree. I looked at their webpage and read the copy, but I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what function this product actually PERFORMS.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm also not quite sure what this does. Do you get the same Bokeh as a medium format camera when you put that lens in front of a NEX? Does it actually perform better than stitching 8 panels captured with a quality lens attached directly to the NEX?

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You would not get the same bokeh. The stitched image would be better with this than using regular NEX images.

I personally am interested in the panorama feature rather than the giant 8 shot stitch. However I am not going to get a NEX just for it. I do hope they or somebody makes one for m4/3.

6. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    It looks basically like a solid frame that lets you slide the camera around the back of the lens so you're taking a picture of different sections of the total FoV. Panorama style, but more secure than hand-holding or tripod alone, also it keeps the same focal plane (I think most pano shots people will turn the camera rather than side-step it).

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
  8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    It's not the same, though. The Giga gives a wide angle panorama from repeated full coverage of the lens, the Rhino maintains the MF focal length of the lens used, by stitching behind the lens rather than in front of it, and maintaining focal plane.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The giga should be usable for very similar shots, but not the same. More versatile in any event.

It's basically an odd shift lens. Interesting, but very niche.

10. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    But in the end, when the image is printed ... Shall we notice a difference ?

C U,
    Rafael

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Less fish-eye in landscapes and architecture shots are the immediate difference I can think of. I'd say flatter portraits but I doubt anyone would sit still long enough.