Vizelex Light Cannon?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Jun 26, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Has anyone tried the new Vizelex Light Cannon from Fotodiox? It's a focal reducer, and pretty cheap compared to others. Unfortunately it's only available in Nikon to MFT or NEX right now and I only have OM and FD lenses...

Amazon.com: The Vizelex Light Cannon - Nikon G Lens to Mirco 4/3 (MFT) DSLR Camera Lens Mount Adapter, for Olympus PEN E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-P2, E-P3, E-M, OM-D, E-M5, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, G3, G10, GX1, GH1, GH2, GF1, GF2, GF3, GF5, P

Assuming the optics are decent I'd be interested if they came out with an OM version. Or really anything shorter than an F mount since I could stack adapters....

2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Fotodiox also sell FD and OM to Nikon adapters ($40ish each), would it work in combination with those? A bit Heath Robinson (or Rube Goldberg if you're American) but might be an option?

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I saw those, but the problem is they have to add another glass element to refocus and allow the lens to reach infinity. Nikon F has one of the longest registry distances, so any adapter to a shorter mount will require that.

I'm afraid it would diminish the optics even more, and these focal reduces probably aren't the best to begin with.

4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Maybe the long register distance of the Nikon mount is part of the reason they made it first- working with a shorter distance may be harder to keep the optics working well...

5. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    And few people have tested this, and it sounds like it is worse than the speedbooster or lens turbo, but apparently they will issue two second versions that are improved in 3-4 months time.

One version will have a 0.5x focal reduction and boost 2 whole stops with fullframe glass, and rumored price is $200.

Sound too good to be true? I think so too, but here's hoping I'm wrong.

For more discussion and my source see:
    Vizelex Light Cannon, Lens Turbo analog for m43 and NEX - Personal View Talks

6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Yeah guys, as manzoid said, people have tested these already and found them to produce unusable chromatic aberration and softness to the image. Check personal view and see the results for yourself.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer