VivitarZoom Thyristor 3500 Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PENpal, Oct 27, 2012.

1. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Will this work on the EPL1? DSC09709.JPG

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends

I have a 3700 and it works fine in manual on E-P1. Got me paranoid as the voltage is quite high. I primarily use it with radio triggers to good effect.

I do not have the correct base so cannot comment on TTL ops.

3. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I can't seem to make it work on the camera. Camera is on Manual Mode/ flash set at Fill in ..Flash test is ok

4. PENpal

PENpal Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
  5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a couple of strobes in this model line (admittedly they are the larger 4600s, but the dedicated modules are the same). I was a little cautious about mounting them directly on the hot shoe since I wasn't sure what the trigger voltage was or the camera's voltage limit, so I used a cheap, non-ttl, non-brand name, $20 radio trigger set to isolate the flash from the camera body. This let me NOT sweat frying the body accidentally.

Using the flash in "M" mode, you have to calculate the aperture and iso for the subject distance, or just use trial and error to dial in the correct aperture and iso. Set the camera body for manual exposures and make sure the shutter speed is at X-sync or below.

When set to any of the flash auto modes using the colored spots (red, blue, and orange,) the flash should automatically set the exposure using the built-in thyristor on the front. Basically you set the ISO on the camera, and set manual mode on the camera with the shutter speed at X-sync or below, then set an aperture based on the scale on the flash. Each of the colored spot auto modes will use a different aperture for a given ISO, and will automatically set the flash exposure over a different distance range.
    There's an article here about the 3500 -
    Vivitar 3500 Thyristor Flash

• Like Like x 1