Vivitar zooms

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LegacyLens, May 31, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Are the vivitar zooms for canon fd any good? Ive been considering them and there so cheap. So any advice? Thanks!
  2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Vivitar had some good lenses in the 70's and 80's, their 'Series One' line had a cult following. Most of the 70-200's of that era were good, and still cheap and plentiful. Some of the special lenses like the series one 600/8 solid mirror lens still go for quite high prices.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have a Vivitar 70-150mm zoom in an OM mount (mount only matters for the proper adapter) that is clear and sharp. A very nice lens that was inexpensive to buy and fun to use.:biggrin: I chose to purchase OM lenses (or OM mounts) because I already had a Sigma lens in an OM mount and didn't want to buy multiple adapters.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vivitar was a lens designing and marketing company. All their lenses were made for them, by various contract manufacturers. You can easily google for a list of manufacturers by serial codes. Lots of pages of info rating most of the lenses, especially the various Series 1 models.
    I use two Vivitar legacy prime lenses, and am very happy with both. But personally, the tele zooms are too big, heavy and slow for me to consider for m43. I feel you would get far better performance with a native zoom, for not a lot more money. I think you can get a Panny 45-200mm for about $200 at the moment, and their 45-175mm for under $300. Lot of lens for the money!
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I would agree with the big and heavy, more so with the GF or Pen bodies, but if you stay with the S1 lenses the aperture isn't bad. They were either f3.5 or f2.8-4, depending on the 70-210mm version you are looking at. And on crop sensors all of the versions perform well since the complaints about the different versions mostly deal with corner sharpness and contrast.

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    The only problem I have with legacy zooms in general is the IBIS system. If you zoom the lens without changing the focal length in the menu the IS will not be as effective. You can see the difference when trying to focus with IS system enabled.
  7. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    I have a mint AUTO Vivitar Tele Zoom f3.5. 55-135mm Lens. It's a great lens, well built and smooth as butter. Very hard to find, purchased it on Ebay for $10.00. Plan to try it on my E-PL2 I recently got and on the OM-D I ordered.
    Only problem it's very heavy. We shall see.
  8. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Don't turn down a Series 1 70-210 if you can get it for $10-20. It will give you a decent image, but you will want some software to bring out the contrast. A very unwieldy and heavy lens for M43, it still works well on a PEN with IBIS.

A non-series 1 Vivitar 70-210 or 80-200 is a $10 lens for sure. Bet you get these for $5.

Edit: Goodwill auction link removed, but someone did get a Soligor 80-205/macro in Nikon mount and a Sears 70-210 f4 in FD mount for 5 bucks.