1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vivitar Teleconverter FD/FL Mount f1.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Itchybiscuit, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi guys,

I picked up this even though I don't have a Canon or Canon/m4/3 adapter!

My magpie eye fixated on the f1.4 aperture setting but I don't really know what this means exactly. It was bought as part of a huge job lot and I was wondering if anyone here has any information on whether this particular beastie is either 'good' or 'bad'? Is it a useful thing? Is it even something which folk might want?

I remain clueless.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter02.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter04.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter03.

Thanks in advance for any and all info. :thumbup:

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The 4 in the code is the part that stands for FD/FL (yes, I know it is printed as well). A 2x-5 is Minolta's SR mount, etc. I don't think these had any kind of aperture control, the dial was just to give you an idea of what your working aperture actually was (2x the aperture on the lens). I know on some Minolta cameras they had a small prism to "look down" onto the aperture thru the viewing window. Maybe it lined up with the same on an FD camera?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks for that. I just had a fiddle and noticed that the small window below the 'aperture ring' has an f-stop reading which is always 2 stops above the reading on the 'ring'. So while it says f1.4 on the ring, it reads f2.8 in the 'window' as per the photograph. As I turn it it changes the f-stop reading in the wee 'window'.

Good stuff to know. I never really used teleconverters in my film days and never got near Canon cameras - far too expensive here in the UK!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.