Vivitar Teleconverter FD/FL Mount f1.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Itchybiscuit, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi guys,

I picked up this even though I don't have a Canon or Canon/m4/3 adapter!

My magpie eye fixated on the f1.4 aperture setting but I don't really know what this means exactly. It was bought as part of a huge job lot and I was wondering if anyone here has any information on whether this particular beastie is either 'good' or 'bad'? Is it a useful thing? Is it even something which folk might want?

I remain clueless.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter02.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter04.

Vivitarf14AutoTeleConverter03.

Thanks in advance for any and all info. :thumbup:

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The 4 in the code is the part that stands for FD/FL (yes, I know it is printed as well). A 2x-5 is Minolta's SR mount, etc. I don't think these had any kind of aperture control, the dial was just to give you an idea of what your working aperture actually was (2x the aperture on the lens). I know on some Minolta cameras they had a small prism to "look down" onto the aperture thru the viewing window. Maybe it lined up with the same on an FD camera?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Thanks for that. I just had a fiddle and noticed that the small window below the 'aperture ring' has an f-stop reading which is always 2 stops above the reading on the 'ring'. So while it says f1.4 on the ring, it reads f2.8 in the 'window' as per the photograph. As I turn it it changes the f-stop reading in the wee 'window'.

Good stuff to know. I never really used teleconverters in my film days and never got near Canon cameras - far too expensive here in the UK!