Vivitar Series 1 FD 70-210; beauty.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mosca, May 31, 2010.

1. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    These are OOC jpgs, vivid picture style, daylight wb. Handheld, 1/40 sec; gotta love that IS. It seems that the f-stops aren't working with this adapter, the dof is pretty dang thin for f/22.

One at 70mm, one at 210mm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have an RJ Chinese adapter M43 to FD - Getting the f stops to work can sometimes be a little tricky - you have to get the "lever" and the small arm that pushes it it exactly the "right" place - keep trying until you can get the aperture ring to open fully at the widest f stop close down to f22 - it does (should) work

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Thanks, Bill; any tips on how to do that? Turn this, push that, etc? The piece didn't come with any instructions.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I just found (find) that I have to "fiddle" with it to get it to work properly - I am away for a few days - but when I get back I'll take an image of the adapter fitted onto the FD lens to show where the lever should be - just mess around with the position of small tab and lever - it is a good fit once it's on - but it seems not to fit when you first try - if you get my meaning

When I first got the adapter - and fitted it - I got no f stops - it took me a while to figure it out - if I am making myself clear

It is strange as all my other Chinese adapters, Konica, Nikon, Leica etc., fit with no problems - but the Canon FD mount seems to be a little more complicated in the way that it works

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Here's some I took the other day with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 lens. I'm very happy with it so far - nice bokeh, usable range, decent macro functionality.

Panasonic GH1 + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 @ 210mm; f/11; 1/320s @ ISO 400
    [​IMG]

Panasonic GH1 + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 @ ~180mm; f/5.6; 1/160s @ ISO 400
    [​IMG]

Panasonic GH1 + Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 @ 210mm MACRO; f/5.6; 1/125s @ ISO 100
    [​IMG]

6. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Thanks, Bill!

That's what I'm talking about, PhotoSmart42; there is real promise there. That 70-210 is one of my favorite lenses of all time.

7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you! You can actually see the tiny flies/gnats flying around the lion's back in the top photo, which is a testament to this lens' resolving power combined with the GH1 sensor.

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i own the 70 - 210 f 2.8 -4 vivitar series 1 purchased for my nikon 8008s its an af lens but
    thankfully has an aperture ring , it does 1:2.5 macro at the long end , and its quite the optic for its time

on the gf-1 and ep1 its giving 420mm equiv with decent macro at f4 , amazing for its size, and of course its full frame
    a lens with the same ability for a sensor needing 1\4 the image circle?

im still waiting for real lenses at sane prices for micro 4\3 not slow 8mm for 1100 dollars us ..... fishy not fisheye

9. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Thanks for the tips, Bill; I figured it out. You have to put the adapter on a little bit ahead of directly matched up, then turn it counter a little so the pin catches the arm, then lock it onto the lens. Got it!

10. Lauzers

Lauzers Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    Noob questions

Sorry to bring up an old thread, my adaptor for my Vivitar 70-210 Macro Zoom.

I notice at the shortest end of the focus, it's got 1:4x macro.

I'm new to photography and lenses, could anyone help me understand this lens? I've seen sample of it being used as a telephoto, but how do i achieve macro?

Any response will be great, thank you in advance.

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    It is a reproduction ratio, meaning that at the lens' closest focusing distance, an object in real life will be recorded at one quarter of that size on the camera's sensor. A true macro lens will reproduce an object equal to it's real size (1:1) or bigger.

BTW, you shouldn't apply any crop factor to this ratio becuase it refers to the physical size of the projected image on the sensor.

That is the meant to be the true definition anyway. I don't know if lens manufacturers twist the meaning slightly to account for sensor/film size.

12. dvogel

dvogel New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2011
    Cosinaphile,

I have the same Vivitar lens. Can you tell me what adapter you are using? I have a GH2 that I'd like to try this lens on. I'm assuming the adapter you use on your GF-1 will work on the GH2.

D

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Some of the Vivitar 70-210mm lenses have the macro/close focus ring and some do not. I have one of each. My daughter has one that does. I don't prefer to use these for close-up work. Too big. Some of these lenses are great. It takes great care to get good clean images at the long end.

14. dvogel

dvogel New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2011
    Can you tell me what adapter you use for this lens? I have a Panasonic GH2 and one adapter I tried didn't work.

D