Showcase Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by FotoBo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. FotoBo

FotoBo New to Mu-43

Jul 30, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Bo
    This lens was manufactured in 1980's by Tokina for Vivitar. It has its own multi-glass 1:1 adapter (I have the Canon FD mount). It is extremely sharp and has a "cult" following for it's soft creamy bokeh and is known among fans as the "Bokina".

Attached Files:

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If you disregard how awkward/heavy it is to carry around on a µ4/3's setup, the is the lens for macro photography. Its bokeh is just unlike anything any other lens has ever done. It melts everything into smooth, perfect, creamy goodness.

A great flickr with stunning examples can be seen here.

Another good group of examples here.

What many forget when talking about this lens is its non-macro shooting. When it was released, all of the photography magazines raved about how it was the sharpest lens that they'd ever seen or tested at any price level. Its colours are bold and alive and its renditions are 3-dimensional and lifelike. It's built like a tank; essentially just a heavy lump of steel and glass. It's my perfect lens. :)

Just another reason why Vivitar has always been my favourite lensmaker :)

Thanks for starting the thread!

• Like Like x 1
  3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Took the Series 1 90mm out for tonight's walk. Left the 1:1 macro converter at home (as you can't shoot anything but close macro when it's on and the mosquitoes are a bit thick for tripod work :tongue:). My snapshots certainly aren't demonstrative of the lens's capabilities, but FotoBo's post seemed like it was getting lonely :smile:

90_05.

90_06.

90_09.

90_10.

90_12.

90_14.

90_17.

90_18.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Another comparing the bokeh:

f/4:
    90_15.

f/8:
    90_16.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Meh...

Because everyone is raving about this lens, I bought one too half a year ago. I compared it immediately with my Minolta MD Macro 100/4 and found that the Tokina's contrast is markedly lower than the Minolta's. The Tokina's sharpness was indeed excellent, but not better and its bokeh wide-open is indeed very nice; bokeh at smaller apertures around f/8 was equal between the two so as a macro lens there was no point in keeping the Tokina.

Especially the Tokina's lower contrast disappointed me and I resold it within a week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Technically, it's a Vivitar lens built by Tokina. The Tokina version was a different lens. Sorry you didn't care for yours; it's a great piece of equipment.

The Alberta legislature. Cropped but otherwise untouched:

P8260020.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Picked up a copy just in time for springtime. Everything they say about this lens appears to be true. Lucky me.
    13500600435_331c74e1fb_b.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

This is very true. But the fact that the Minolta lens was only a little better and the Vivitar lens sold for much less made it a more popular choise and added to it's cult status. I unfortunately do not have a copy anymore because someone took it right out of my bag during a photography lab way back when.

9. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
  10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I have the Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 from my Minolta S-RT-102 days (my first SLR). I just ordered an adaptor to see what it does. While I remember it fondly, I have no real idea if it was any good (or if I was any good, for that matter). But it's worth a few bucks to learn about the lens.

11. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    So, the sun shone and I took my 'Bokina' for a walk...

I asked nicely and she said yes. I'm glad she did.
    LilacGothonTourVivitarf2890mmf56.

'Bokina' time...
    RedSeedHeadsVivitarf2590mmf25.

• Like Like x 2
  12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oh how I lusted for that lens in.... was it the 80's?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I don't want to hog the image thread for my Bokina but I was in Ayr yesterday and visited Brigadoon.
    AnotherViewofBrigadoon.
    BrigadoonHotelandBridge.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tomymackey

tomymackey New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Small insect - Lumix GX7

Insectochico.

• Like Like x 2
  15. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

RAWs - 0/0/normal/natural processed through oly viewer 3, no PP other than "auto adjust colour" from irfranview on the spider one (was going to shoot a cat some indoors thing, but then thought - geez that's kind of pedestrian for testing this, let's go outside. Literally the first thing I see walking out the back door is a huntsman *noisily* chowing down on ... something, a mole cricket? What a stroke of luck. And then I found pretty much nothing else worth shooting other than just seeing how it looked at 2.5 / stopped down. But anyway.

I was kind of hyped to get this and to get this out of it first go, and, uh, well. The hype is real. Like,

"Anime is real," Barack Obama said in his inauguration speech earlier. "Pokémon are real. Geodude is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

if that was real, that would be how real the hype for this lens is.

p5050012thk9bb0.

p5050016thuyxk6.

p5050017thyqy3f.

p5050020th50ryi.