1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar series 1 70-210 f3.5 OM fit

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jhob, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I won this lens earlier in the week and it arrived today. Has nice, clean optics and is in really good condition. It will be paired with my GF1 with live view-finder to become an effective 140-420 for use as compact wildlife photography solution. I will likely start with photographing my bird table and see how that turns out.

Also on the way is an OM vivitar 28mm f2.8 which I intend to use for street photography.

These lenses cost me very little and will hopefully offer a lot of fun.

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Are you sure it isn't Viv Series 1 70-210 3.5? I have one of those also with OM fit. I paid about 30€ for it and it's definitely worth it. The main problems, at least with my lens, are softness and really poor contrast wide open at 3.5. But stopping down to 5.6 or even to 8 does help considerably.

IMO it's good and reasonably sized lens overall. I hope you upload some images taken with your lens. :smile:

3. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I do indeed mean the 70-210, I went back and edited my post a few minutes ago but can't edit the subject line, dammit!

Mine is the version 2, made by tokina - you can check the versions out here

4. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Oh yeah, I paid a little under £17 for mine.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Click "Edit" for your original post, then click "Go Advanced" below the edit window. The advanced editor allows you to edit the subject line, too.

6. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks carpandean, fixed now

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Mine is also version 2, so I am now even more interested about the performance of your copy!

Here is the lens:
    [​IMG]

And here are some snapshots taken with it, some are cropped images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PB063704.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Here's a couple of pics of the lens:

photo-0016.

photo-0017.

• Like Like x 3
  9. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Bloody hell, that lens is sharp!

The first 2 images of a possibly continuing series:

photo-000112.

photo-00025.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Here's a couple from today. Really liking this lens, beginning to get used to focussing manually too, still quite a few misses but my hit rate is improving. It's a wonderfully contrasty lens, I'm very taken with it.

photo-00047.

photo-00054.

photo-00048.

• Like Like x 4
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    very nice

12. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    A bit off topic, but what is that wrap you have on your camera? That looks slick, does it work well and was it easy to apply?

13. jhartman

jhartman New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Wow, those pictures bring back memories. I bought that lens when it first came out in 1974 for my Pentax SP 500 and it served me well for many years. Sharp, smooth, state-of-the-art for the time (if memory serves me well).

Glad to see it's still in service.

jh

14. Verrrrrrrrrrrrry cool photo

• Like Like x 1
  15. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

It's an Aki-asahi skin, works great and makes the camera a lot easier to grip. Also makes it look a lot more retro, I like it a lot. It was very easy to apply, just need to take your time over it. It has proved to be durable too and is showing no signs of peeling. Here's a video demonstrating the application process:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng2jhBIWgk"]Aki-Asahi skin application process[/ame].

Unfortunately their website says temporarily out of service but I would try e-mailing them if you are interested in the skin.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

thanks!

17. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    nice work jhob!

how do you find handling this lens on your gf1? tripod-only sort of affair or semi-portable?

18. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Definitely more than portable! All of these recent images were taken with my wriggling 3 month old daughter on my front in a baby carrier so about as far as you can get to using a tripod!

I will say that I had a lot of misses with the focus, which I put down to 2 things:

a) it's been bloody ages since I last used MF so relearning that skill.
    b) Focussing at the 200mm end while hand-holding can be a little tricky

The press-zoom focus is surprisingly easy once you're used to it.

I would never consider taking my S5pro and nikkor 70-200VR out on a walk like this, I have the future health of my back and shoulders to think about! The weight of this setup over my shoulder didn't bother me in the slightest.

Should also add that I would consider the EVF essential for use with telephoto lenses, particularly if you're not using a tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Here's a couple more with this lens from yesterday:

photo-00201.

photo-0021.

photo-00191.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    thanks for that bit of info. i was thinking about getting this but some say it is a bit hard to handle on an e-pl1 hand-held, so i might hold off for something more...travel-capable.

although the images coming out are stunning. really crisp and colourful!