1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar Series 1 3.5/70-210 macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RSilva, Feb 23, 2012.

1. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I bought a lot of old school stuff and with it came the 1st model of this lens, built actually by Kiron. Seems it get's nice reviews, as anybody ever used it? It as a nikon mount and I don't want to waist money with an adapter.
    thanks

2. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
  3. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Looks good, I guess I will give it a try to see how it holds agaist the smc takumar 4/200.

4. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have three differn't Series-1 70-210s in differnt mounts, and they are all keepers. Biggest issue is BIG and Heavy. But images are great, IF you can keep them STILL!

5. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    I will receive and test it next monday, I hope it doesn't come with fungus... How I wish I lived in a dry weather country.

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have the second version of this lens, the f/2.8 - f/4. The size and weight is indeed the main issue - how do people who use lenses of this size stop them from damaging the camera mount?

7. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    The best way is to support the camera/lens ]by the lens] - use the hand you focus with, and put no weight on the body. You should also carry it carefully...

8. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm, I tried it this afternoon, and found it to be somewhat impractically large for a camera as small as the E-P3. My 135mm, f/3.5 Pentax SMC, however, is much more sensibly sized for Micro Four Thirds.

9. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Totally agree! The 3.5/135 is one of the best takumar's and very small indeed. It really goes very well with a m43 camera. still, the Vivitar as a decent size for fullframe camera.

10. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I have the same lens, purchased used in 1985 and it is M42, and I have to agree about the size. I have used it on a couple of Pentax digital film bodies and it is OK on an Oly E-620 4/3 body. I have the same issue with almost all the older Vivtar S1 lenses as they tend to be well constructed but heavy.

11. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have posted some samples from the Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 here and from the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 here.

The Vivitar is a lovely lens, but unfortunately far too big for Micro Four Thirds. The Pentax, on the other hand, is an excellent size and is ideal for the format. As should be apparent from the images, the quality is high, too (note that the two squirrel photographs were taken through a window).

12. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    My brother as used the 70-210 already with a D700. Although the lens as several fungus, he likes it and even made some shots with it professionaly.
    Lisboa Fashion Week:
    DSC_7848.
    Aveiro city:
    DSC_6673.

13. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I've used my Vivi 70-210 Macro a few times. The macro shots are beautiful. Using it as a non macro, photos are just as fine. When I first bought it, I thought it was going to give me results I wouldn't like. It proved me wrong.

But because of it's weight, I use my Minolta macro lens and bellows for my macros. Carrying the Vivi 70-210 around does make me feel like I'm carrying around huge balls :)

I was on ebay the other day. A guy had up for sale some m4/3 adapters that had bases to attach it to a tripod. I think I may buy one. Attaching the camera to the tripod with the Vivi 70-210 on it, that's a load of strain on the camera. Plus, the tripod may tip over. With the m4/3 adapter to be able to be mounted on the tripod, it balances out the weight and takes the strain off the camera.