1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar Minolta 24mm f2 FOCUSING PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MacGyver, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    Good morning!

I received today the new Vivitar 24mm f2 Minolta MD mount lens that I bought at auction, I state that my disposal already a Vivitar 24mm f2.8 with which I could compare on my E-PL1, optically there is no problem, but I found an anomaly with regard to focusing, first the dimensions shown on the bezel are not met, the entire band of focus much less than a full round of bezel.

So I wanted to ask if it is normal that this objective it works this way, or if there is any problem in it.

I hope to find an answer and solve the problem!

2. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    Update: the focusing ring has now stopped working and turn around, I begin to think that the real problem is just that, the poor functioning noted above was just a symptom...

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I know I was able to find directions on disassembling my Vivitar 28mm. Maybe it has skipped off the helicoid? What exactly happens when you turn the focusing ring, and can you re-phrase what was happening to begin with? Not sure what you are referring to with bezel.

4. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    Thank you for the reply Cruzan80!

Could initially focus from zero to infinity with a very short ride (not complete) of ring, then later use to run without effort and without moving the lens, not back in the track

I found a tutorial on the internet regarding the 28mm f2, even if I wanted to open it to take a look at what had happened and to see if I could repair it by me, I have a few screws rigid discouraged, I preferred to avoid...

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    So if I am following you correctly, using a very short turn of the focusing ring (sometimes referred to the "throw" amount), it would go from minimum focus to infinity, but wouldn't retract? And now when you turn the focusing ring, it doesn't move at all? Which screws in particular are giving you problems? If going the disassembly route, I would highly suggest lots of pictures as you take each step, and a strip of masking tape works great to hold screws from running away.

6. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    I apologize, in the meantime, my English difficult to understand, but I rely largely on google translator does not have the specific terms ...

I try to explain better

-With a short-shift ring I can focus from zero to infinity, with full turning go completely out of focusing, when i turn back into initial place and I can redo.
    -After seeing this, I did a little use of the lens, after a few minutes the ring focus ring began to turn empty.

After this, i try to search on google a tutorial for a similar lens disassembly,
    i found vivitar 28mm f2, than i tried to disassemble mine.
    I disassembled the mount, 5 screws, i remove the mount, i removed a ring in which I found other 3 screws, i removed one, then two, hard, very hard joint, then i tried to remove the last one, but there was too hard than others , i preferred to stop here, i think it's a bit spoiled...

That is all for now

7. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
  8. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    thank you
    those hard screws discourage me from continue homemade repair process,
    i try to contact a professioist and hear what he says

9. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    To unlock hard screws try a little drop of lighter fluid or deblocking lubricant (svitol).

10. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    In an attempt to unscrew, I ruined a bit the screw head, it might be difficult to unscrew now, I don't think that with the lubricant can be of help...

11. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    finally I drilled the screw head, so I could disassemble and repair the lens, there were only a couple of screws loose on the barrel of focus and it skidded.
    problem solved successfully!

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Congrats on solving your problem! Tjere is somet th inf about everything going back together that is just so satisfying.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. MacGyver

MacGyver New to Mu-43

Jan 16, 2013
    Venice
    A lot of satisfaction! just not to forget this fantastic emotion I recently bought a canon fd 50mm f1.2 with a similar problem, focus is locked to 3 meters, may have a screw loose inside that blocks their movement. To remove the mount again encounter a screw stuck, I created a new thread, I would not use the same method to drill, I tried therapy of cold and hot, even the vibration, but it is stuck, and I do not want to spoil the screw head. do I need a real professional of stuck screws, you know one on mu-43?