Vivitar lens mount problem?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Vincen77o, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Help. I've just received a Vivitar 75-205mm Macro lens with a Canon FD fitting along with a separate X2 Matched Multiplier. I've just noticed that many Vivitar lenses for Canons have a mount that pushes in and then locks with a screw fitment, silver gripped. The new lens and both my adapters have this.
    Problem is that I can't get the aperture blades to close and I want to make sure it's nothing I'm doing wrong before I return the lens. I can see the blades close on a 50mm lens using an adapter but not this 75-205. Anyone have any clues that might help, perhaps I'm missing the obvious. Adapter pic attached showing silver screw tightener.

Vivitar_x2.JPG

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The iris on the Vivitar might be stuck/frozen. This is commonly caused by oil from the focusing helicoid or zooming mechanism migrating to the iris blades. There are also other possible causes.

The Canon FD mount is designed such that the camera operates the diaphram lever to close the iris. Most Canon FD adapters provide a function to do this, commonly a ring marked "Lock/Open". Since you state that you 50 works with this adapter it would seem that the adapter is providing the needed function.

Check the Vivitar lens' diaphram function while it is off of the adapter. To do this you need to turn the chrome mounting ring to it's mounted position as if it was on a body. Now set the lens to minimum aperture (f/16 or whatever) and push the larger chrome tab sticking out of the rear of the lens. If it's working correctly the iris blades will close. If they don't you either didn't turn the mounting ring the right direction or the lens needs service.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I had the problem too. My FD adapters did not engage the irises of any Vivitar lenses, but worked fine on all Canon FD lenses. I finally had to hold the adapter at a slight angle to position the finger of the adapter behind the iris' lever to engage it. Then I tilted the adapter the the correct orientation to screw onto the lens.

Good luck.

4. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    I'm fairly sure I've got a dud as the adapter is engaging the lever correctly. The mounting ring is designed so that it will only tighten when it's engaged either by the adapter or a camera mount. But I've tried this with the TC's.

The seller is happy to refund the cash, although I'm tempted to keep it so I can just take it apart - boys, toys and screwdrivers etc.

PS: thanks for replies.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The later nFD Canon lenses and a few 3rd party lens work that way. You can release the mounting ring while the lens is off of the camera by pressing a small pin. If you explore around the edges of the mounting ring from the rear you should see the pin.

6. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Found the pin, hidden under the ring, and the ring released. This also releases the actual iris control lever which moves when the aperture is changed. Still not working though, as everything moves as expected except the blades, so they're stuck.

7. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Update.

I saw another 75-205 on eBay the other day, marked as a Pentax K fit, but I realised it was a Canon because of the mounting ring. Contacted the guy who was honest enough to say he knew nothing about it, even if it worked. It arrived today in its original case, I don't think it's ever been used, pristine, works and all for £15 incl. Some you win eh. Can't test it outside as it's blowin' a gale and we've been staving up the fence, yes, good old Blighty is having its hurricane season.