1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar (komine) 28mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jhob, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Bought this on the 'bay in OM mount last week for not very much money and it's just turned up today. Looks a really nicely constructed lens with smooth focussing, nice aperture ring, snappy iris and nice clean optics. I've heard a lot of good stuff about this lens and am looking forward to having a play with it. Weather is horrible today though so will have to wait until later in the week. Still not given the vivitar 70-210 a run out yet either.

photo-0014.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Here's a few images I made with this combo:
    photo-00081.

photo-00071.

photo-00061.

photo-00052.

photo-00044.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 28mm is a great focal length on m4/3. It's just long enough to achieve a relatively shallow depth of field on close-up shots but wide enough to use as a standard lens. Nice series of shots, and some of your subject matter is intriguing to say the least!

4. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, it does work really nicely on m4/3. I'm keen to add a 24mm lens and see how I like that too. I already have the pancake 20mm so this would give me a nice spread within a close focal range. MF lenses are fun!

All of those photos I shot on my lunch hour at work.

5. 24mm is an ideal 'one lens' focal length as it is just about your classic 50mm FOV on a film camera, however I couldn't imagine carrying and using all three lenses (20mm, 24mm and 28mm). I think the 24mm would get lost in the middle, but the step from 20mm to 28mm and back is big enough to make swapping lenses worthwhile. My 24mm Canon FD has effectively retired my similar 28mm lens, but when I get my 20mm lens the 28mm might make a comeback as a companion.

6. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I suspect that you are right, the beauty of these old MF lenses is that it doesn't cost much to experiment and see what suits. I just love the feel of old MF lenses.

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I like your images. I have the same lens - my brother gave me all his OM stuff a few months ago. I really like that lens - it's a very handy FL

All the best,

Colin

8. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    definitely, lenses made by komine or kiron are very good and this vivitar is one of them; good choice :thumbup:

9. I just purchased a Vivitar 24mm f2.8 in an OM mount which looks very similar to this one. I'm keen to test it out but it is going to need to be pretty special to bump my Canon FD 24mm f2.8 off it's perch.