Vivitar (Komine) 200mm f/3.5 mounted on GH2 and other favorites..

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
I recently found this forum and thoroughly enjoy reading and viewing the fantastic photos.
I have probably 50-60 of the 1950's thru 1980's manual focus SLR lenses from many various manufacturers. I love them all. So much fun mounting them on my various mirror-less camera bodies and experimenting with them. And they just look cool on these cameras.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This particular lens is very sharp stopped down and fairly fast with good contrast. Looks great for around 40 years old. Focus is damped just right for the size and weight of all that glass.
Cheers!

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
A couple more.

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
And some more.

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
One or two more. Or three!

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
I can't stop!

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
I second the use of legacy 200mm lenses.
  • I have the Hoya version of this Konine 200mm F3.5 in PK mount.
    • With a simple 5x lens element design, it is not heavy and there are less internal lens surfaces to cause internal reflections
    • The low weight means that it won't strain the tripod mount
  • The pull-out lens hood is a must, as M4/3 cameras "waste" a large part of the glass in the lens - leaving it only as a source of internal reflection that can kill contrast
  • With a monopod to add 3 stops of stabilisation, it becomes a very affordable super-telephoto for landscapes - as well as animals that don't move much!
With F3.5 and an M4/3 EVF, focus "pops" with an effective 400mm magnification - meaning that only rarely is fine-focus / magnified view needed.

NOTE:
  • Vivitar sold several versions of a 200m F3.5 lens.
  • komine made Vivitar 200mm f3.5 with 28xxxxx serial numbers.
  • Note that the similar spec and similar looking swappable TX mount 200mm f3.5* was made by Tokina: 37xxxxx serials.
  • There is also an earlier and quite different preset Vivitar 200mm f3.5 with an 18 blade iris.
  • And another earlier one has a distinctive "silver band" with the DoF scale on, tripod bush and 20xxxx serials

Until Panasonic relauch the old 100-300mm zoom as an "amateur spec" lens at amateur prices - or Sigma or Tamron update their old 100-300mm zoom designs and add an M4/3 mount - I will stick with the old glass as the current mark II 100-300mm Lumix, the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5, or Panasonic 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 M43 Native mount zooms are still very expensive to justify if you don't have a business need or a very dedicated hobby to justify them.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I second the use of legacy 200mm lenses.
  • I have the Hoya version of this Konine 200mm F3.5 in PK mount.
    • With a simple 5x lens element design, it is not heavy and there are less internal lens surfaces to cause internal reflections
    • The low weight means that it won't strain the tripod mount
  • The pull-out lens hood is a must, as M4/3 cameras "waste" a large part of the glass in the lens - leaving it only as a source of internal reflection that can kill contrast
  • With a monopod to add 3 stops of stabilisation, it becomes a very affordable super-telephoto for landscapes - as well as animals that don't move much!
With F3.5 and an M4/3 EVF, focus "pops" with an effective 400mm magnification - meaning that only rarely is fine-focus / magnified view needed.

NOTE:
  • Vivitar sold several versions of a 200m F3.5 lens.
  • komine made Vivitar 200mm f3.5 with 28xxxxx serial numbers.
  • Note that the similar spec and similar looking swappable TX mount 200mm f3.5* was made by Tokina: 37xxxxx serials.
  • There is also an earlier and quite different preset Vivitar 200mm f3.5 with an 18 blade iris.
  • And another earlier one has a distinctive "silver band" with the DoF scale on, tripod bush and 20xxxx serials

Until Panasonic relauch the old 100-300mm zoom as an "amateur spec" lens at amateur prices - or Sigma or Tamron update their old 100-300mm zoom designs and add an M4/3 mount - I will stick with the old glass as the current mark II 100-300mm Lumix, the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5, or Panasonic 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 M43 Native mount zooms are still very expensive to justify if you don't have a business need or a very dedicated hobby to justify them.
There was also a Series 1 Vivitar 200mm f/3 that focused closer than a lot of 200mm lenses. I remember seeing one in a camera store in 1985 and not buying it!

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken
Nikkor105mm f2.5 on my G85. Very sharp and is a pleasure to use even though it is a bit hefty. The G85 is just the right size to comfortably handle these larger and heavier vintage lenses. The IBIS works wonders while using the vintage lenses. The built in pull out lens hood is convenient and actually stays retracted when not in use. Some of those built in hoods constantly slide out on there own. And it looks great mounted on the G85.

Last edited:

Camilkmgr

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Ken

Last edited:

Zuiko1976

New to Mu-43
There was also a Series 1 Vivitar 200mm f/3 that focused closer than a lot of 200mm lenses. I remember seeing one in a camera store in 1985 and not buying it!
I have owned the 200mm f3 ser 1, as well as the sister lens, the very cool looking 135mm f2.3 ser 1.

20 years ago, I took the 200/f3 to Mt Everest basecamp mounted on an Olympus OM3 body. Great lens/combo!

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
Adapting Manual telephotos to M4/3

Can I ask the collective wisom of the MU43 readership their experience with tripod mount adapters for manual lenses?

These devices should be ideal for our purpose in getting the maximum use out of heavier legacy lenses; taking the strain from the camera and putting the tripod mount nearer the centre of balance of the lens/camera combination.

here are just 2 of the many designs available on well-known selling websites:

There are several web-postings that complain that rigidity is low, that the tripod mount has snapped off.

So --- Have any of you found a good M4/3 adapeter brand that keeps the lens rigid on the tripod while safely mounting legacy lenses from Olympus, Pentax, Nikon et al - and retaining infinity focus?

I'm not looking for the "metabones-type" lens-including adapter - just those inexpensive basic ones that turn old 135mm and 200mm lenses into tomorrow's "super-telephoto" on an M4/3 camera while sparing damage to a precious and lightweight M4/3 camera.

Thanks as always - Paul C

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom