Vivitar FD 24mm/2.0 - Worth fixing for GH2?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peripatew, Jan 5, 2011.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Recently got this lens, but it needs to be cleaned out due to oily blades. It looks like it's going to cost me $60 to fix, assuming that is all that's wrong with it.

I've got the 20mm/1.7 and a FD 50mm 1.4 on the way.

This lens is from my father, but it doesn't have all that much "emotional value". Thought it would be cool to be using it.

I'm not super happy with manual focusing my 20mm/1.7, so I thought the 24mm might work better for video.

Thoughts? The lens is in PERFECT condition other than stuck blades as far as I can tell.

L

2. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'd try to clean the blades myself - the worst thing that can happen is learning not to do it again!

3. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Are the oily blades the only problem or are the glasses oily too?

I'm asking because one of my favourite MF lenses also has oil on the blades but it perfectly works. Maybe it will cause problems on the long run but for now it's ok.

So if the glass is clean, try if you like it!

Stefan

4. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    How would I do this?

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    As other have said, I would try cleaning it yourself if need be. But unless the iris is really slow, why bother? Regardless, it's not worth fixing if it's going to cost you $60. Unless you can find someone to fix it for free, it's not worth having anyone fix it. These lenses aren't uncommon in thrift stores for $5-$10. I would just keep an eye out for another.

6. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Sorry, should have noted that I "think" the blades are oily as they are completely stuck.

What are some resources for how to open this up?

7. Really, for a 24/2.0?!? Where is this utopia?

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep. Dude I get all kinds of stuff cheap at thrift stores around here. I got a Panasonic ZS1 the other day for $12. Great shape. I've gotten Minolta 50mm F1.7 AFs for $10. I've gotten Canon/Olympus/Pentax/Minolta/Mamiya 50/55mm F1.4s for $10. I turn my nose up at these since after 8 or 9 of them, the thrill kind of wears off. Canon 55-200mm AFs for $20. I picked up a Pierre Angenieux 12mm for $20. A Pentax Auto-Tak F1.9 for $3.50. A Rollei 35 for $7. It just goes on and on and on. The pricing is non-sensical at times. I saw a Rebel Film camera for $299.99 today. For $29, I'd be interested in the lens on half off day. $299.99?... that's just crazy talk.

It's morbid, but the best picking grounds is where former military people go to retire. They pass on and the kids dump all their stuff at the local thrift store. To them, this is all just worthless film junk that dad brought back from overseas. The thrift store are overflowing. There's an absolutely mint Pentax Takumar 135mm F2.5 right now. Comes with caps and case. They want $10 for it. I'm waiting for it to go 50% off or the infrequent 75% off. They give the discount kind of randomly based on the color of the price tag.

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Two words, lenshoarder: Ebay seller!

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    No way man. I keep all of it. What if I need a lens for a particular shot? Should I be forced to zoom or worse, walk back and forth until the framing is just right? No way. I just pop in the proper prime and be done with it. :smile:

Seriously. I really don't sell any of it. The worst part is many of these lenses come with a worthless body attached. I have so many Minolta film bodies it's not even funny. They aren't even worth selling on US Ebay. They go for like a $1. I understand that they are worth a few quid in the UK though. Sometimes I do wonder what I'm doing. Do I really need two Elgeet 12mms or 5 Pentax 110's?

11. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Stuck aperture blades in Vivitar lenses is extremely common. I haven't had a Vivitar lens that hasn't wound up that way. Quite frankly, if the 24 f/2 is anything like my 28 f/2, it isn't worth the effort getting fixed.

12. So...are 24/2.0 Vivs really that common in the thrift stores? I have a very good 24/2.8 and so for no good reason feel compelled to track down a 24/2.0. They seem to fetch reasonably high prices on the rare occasions I see them on eBay.

13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Are you sure you chose the right forum name ? :wink: :smile:

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

That made me sad to hear that. I love Minolta.
    I started this semester with 3 Minolta film bodies (one x700 recently given to me). I would use one for the color Photo class and one for the B&W class, and last as a backup. Almost 3 weeks in, one stopped firing when i was only 3 shots into a roll of 36exp. Then another the Light meter stopped working. They were both x700's. The last one i use won't fire a flash and the cable release wont work. It's the x370 model (backup), without the depth of field preview button which i used often. Since i cant afford to get any fixed yet so I'm just using the x370 and not doing anymore long exposures. I wish i had a one or two more worthless working Minolta bodies laying around.

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I had Vivitar 28 f/2 Close Focus, it was great on film. Probably sample variation? However, its aperture blades got stuck and instead of fixing it I sold it as is. Now I'd be extremely curious to try it on digital.

If 24/2 is as good as 28/2 CF, I'd say it must be a nice lens.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's my last 2 day haul from the local thrift store. Yesterday I picked up a Pentax Spotmatic for $20. I know, I overpaid. I have plenty of Spotmatics but this one is mint. As in it looks like it just came out of the box. Camera, lens, lens cap and leather case. It even has a roll of film in it. I couldn't pass it up.

Today I picked up three more lenses. 2 Canon F1.4s and a Minolta 45mm pancake. They were $25 each but I had to buy the whole kits. So I got the bodies, the zoom lenses, the wideangle lenses, the flashes and cases too. I wish I could have just bought the lenses for $10 each instead. At least one of the cases is a Lowepro mini backpack case. That's useful.

I passed on a 200mm MC Rokkor F4.5 for $10. I'm thinking about going back before they close today but I'm not sure.

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I hate you ;)

Where the hell do you live? Or is this thread a portal to another Dimension? lol
    . I never ever find lenses for my Minolta for that little money. Even back when I had money and was working, before i decided to go to school. I use to buy camera crap all the time then and I looked around believe me. I would check all the local Salvation Army store's, the Good Will stores, a place called the Church thrift shop which is run by the 3 local churches and 4 others i have to drive far to get to but i always call them 1st. I still call them on the off chance there's something i can afford coming in.
    Almost never does anyone have the old Minolta stuff , a few times they have the newer AF stuff. And yea they all never break up a set, but the cheapest i ever remember seeing one for sale at these places was a beat-up SRT 101 with 3 lenses that i already had for 65 dollars. This last year or so they all say things like if it looks nice enough and doesn't sell at their price in a couple weeks they put it on the internet auction sites for sale.

P.S. I'm down to no good Minolta camera body. The Camera decided to stop working on my last when i was out and only half way through shooting for the photography class assignment that was due. And its not the batteries i tried fresh ones. Won't fire tho.
    Good thing we are just doing strobe lighting for the rest of the semester. I have an old dented up 101 sthat has no working meter but because its mechanical it fires still. I just bracket each shot by like 4 f stops or shutter speeds depending on if i care more about depth of field or not. Gotta love those old SRT's. That's the only one i ever used , I'm thinking maybe that is what i should buy when i next have the money. It seems like it will keep firing forever.