Vivitar 55mm Macro plus Achromat?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dothraki, Dec 22, 2011.

1. dothraki

dothraki Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    I've recently acquired a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 Macro lens, and I've just heard about Achromats and focus stacking (still very new to the macro world :tongue: )

Does it makes sense to use an Achromat on top of a Macro Lens?

The Vivitar have a very recessed front element, like a hood, does this interfere with the Achromat in any way?
  2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I've never tried an achromat with a macro lens but they work well with telephotos.

I don't see why it wouldn't perform well. The magnification of the achromat may make the depth of field very narrow.

If your Vivitar is like my Nikkor 55mm you may be able to get a matched extension tube that will be easier to work with.

I don't think the recessed element will matter.
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    There is no advantage in using an achromat diopter lens on a 55mm macro lens, an extension tube will give you greater magnification.
  4. dothraki

dothraki Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2011
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Thank you both.

I was trying to figure out how to achieve magnification greater than 1:1, but I still have to practice a lot, and 1:1 already looks quite a challenge to master.
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Agreed, but it is worth noting that the tube will result in a loss of brightness whereas the achromat will not. However, with live view that should not present a problem. Also, a tube should be considerably cheaper than an achromat, I recently sold a manual tube on ebay for less than a pound but got £140 for an achromat!