Vivitar 500 f8 Mirror lens vs old Canon FD 400mm f4.5 SSC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by EricRose, Oct 3, 2016.

1. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I want to do some moon photography and thought a 500mm mirror lens might be the cats whiskers. Years ago I had used a Nikkor 500mm lens for newspaper work and it was tack sharp.

On APUG.org there was a Vivitar 500mm mirror lens for sale at a reasonable price so I bought it. I was under no illusions that it would equal the Nikkor but hey I might get a good one.

It arrived, I put in on my Panasonic GX7 and set it atop the Manfrotto tripod that I use for 4x5 photography. To insure I didn't suffer from the dreaded shutter bounce, which BTW I have never experienced, I set the camera to electronic shutter. Also set it to delay timer of 2 secs to further reduce any stray vibrations.

Well the results were less than stellar to say the least. I thought maybe a long focal length like this just doesn't work with the GX7 so I put my wife's 400mm Canon FD f4.5 SSC lens on the camera and repeated the test. The Canon lens was crystal clear and sharp.

So I guess I will be selling the 500mm lens to someone who wants a nice dreamy look with funky doughnut highlights. Any takers lol.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I have taken a lot of amazing photograph with my FD 400/4.5 on my Fuji XE-1 and Olympus EM5. About to ship it off to KEH because I never use it anymore and using the money from selling a bunch of lenses to build a new computer :biggrin:

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect.

I feel like none of the old FF mirror lenses have much utility any more, and the only one that is sort of interesting is the M4/3 specific Kenko / Tokina 300mm/f6.3, if only because it is so, so tiny. But even still, it's hard to see the appeal when you can almost always get sharper results cropping from a shorter, higher quality lens that might have AF as well...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.