1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 FD Auto Telephoto

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Squidz, May 1, 2012.

1. Squidz

Squidz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Red Deer, Alberta
    So I found myself an old Vivitar lens at the local camera shop and thought I'd take a chance on it. It is an older lens and appears to be single coated as opposed to MC. The lens is an interesting beast, and not surprising, much easier to handle on a tripod. I have only taken it out birding so far and it seems to be a decent lens. Now I must continually remind myself that it's not a modern lens, in image quality or price. It has some severe CA (lightroom 4 doesn't seem to help much either) and is moderatly sharp, but if I stop down a wee bit, it does seem to improve (again not surprising). Overall, I'm pleased with 8x10 prints and feel I can be quite satisfied with the IQ, but it does leave me longing for something more modern, when I can justify the price of such.

P1020702-from_RAW.

P1020689-from_RAW.

[​IMG]

P1020618-from_RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Vivitar 400mm f5.6

prey.JPG

3. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Vivitar 400mm f5.6

Konica mount - Fotasy adapter - Olympus E PL1 hand held. Great build quality - good IQ - great value. predator.JPG

The cat was stalking the squirrel, who objected quite loudly. Taken at min. focus distance, which reduced quality a bit.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, I'd be happy with that lens. Post up some more examples. These so far look good to me. :2thumbs:

5. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Vivitar 400mm f5.6

Another back yard, hand held image. He wasn't sitting very still! This lens is a quite reasonable size and weight 400mm_vivitar_005.JPG (though I enjoy unreasonably sized lenses as much as the next person!).