1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar 3700 + E-P1?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RobWatson, Oct 5, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I found an old Vivitar 3700 flash in my dads pile of photo gear. Looks to have been made ~1980ish and after a bit or cleaning and a solder job (obviously an old set of batteries had been left in for waaaaaay too long) it works just fine. Well, it flashes anyway.

I did some google-fu and got worried as the voltage levels at the shoe are ~9VDC and I wonder if the E-P1 might not quite like that too much (I didn't put it on yet). I plan on using off camera anyway so what I'm wondering is will the Hot Shoe Flash Cable (FL-CB05) provide some type of isolation from the high voltage or is it just a patch cord?

I don't see anywhere to connect a PC sync cable and I'm not really interested in anything fancy (like wireless/IR, etc) and the Vivitar 'manual' I found makes no mention of optical slave functionality.

Any insight or suggestions on getting a basic off camera (via cable) operation going would be most welcome.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A PC Sync cable can be connected via a Hotshoe Adapter just like your Hotshoe Flash Cable. When set up like that, it only differs from the Flash Cable in that it uses a single contact with no TTL control.

[​IMG]

However, with any kind of wired setup like this, you WILL need a Safe Sync adapter for a trigger voltage of 9V. The maximum your E-P1 will handle is 6V, while many digital flashes will only put out about 3V.

[​IMG]

Another option is to use an Optical Slave Eye on the flash. This is the safest method. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

Might as well just hack this into the flash body as there is plenty of room there. That way (god forbid) if I want to just flash from the shoe I can, too!

Don't tell anyone but I did just slap the flash on and it works fine. Really bright! Just in time for my mushroom photo journey.

5. RobWatson

Dang bulky

That 3700 is quite a bulky thing. I opted for a Cactus wireless RF604 which is nifty. Gotta say manual flash is work!

Also picked up an external power (SB-4) for the flash (<$15 is too cheap to bother with DIY stuff).

Gonna get a workout this weekend for my sons 6th birthday party bash!

Total bust on the mushroom trip. First time that spot let me down.