Vivitar 3700 + E-P1?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RobWatson, Oct 5, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I found an old Vivitar 3700 flash in my dads pile of photo gear. Looks to have been made ~1980ish and after a bit or cleaning and a solder job (obviously an old set of batteries had been left in for waaaaaay too long) it works just fine. Well, it flashes anyway.

I did some google-fu and got worried as the voltage levels at the shoe are ~9VDC and I wonder if the E-P1 might not quite like that too much (I didn't put it on yet). I plan on using off camera anyway so what I'm wondering is will the Hot Shoe Flash Cable (FL-CB05) provide some type of isolation from the high voltage or is it just a patch cord?

I don't see anywhere to connect a PC sync cable and I'm not really interested in anything fancy (like wireless/IR, etc) and the Vivitar 'manual' I found makes no mention of optical slave functionality.

Any insight or suggestions on getting a basic off camera (via cable) operation going would be most welcome.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A PC Sync cable can be connected via a Hotshoe Adapter just like your Hotshoe Flash Cable. When set up like that, it only differs from the Flash Cable in that it uses a single contact with no TTL control.

However, with any kind of wired setup like this, you WILL need a Safe Sync adapter for a trigger voltage of 9V. The maximum your E-P1 will handle is 6V, while many digital flashes will only put out about 3V.

Another option is to use an Optical Slave Eye on the flash. This is the safest method. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

Might as well just hack this into the flash body as there is plenty of room there. That way (god forbid) if I want to just flash from the shoe I can, too!

Don't tell anyone but I did just slap the flash on and it works fine. Really bright! Just in time for my mushroom photo journey.

5. RobWatson

Dang bulky

That 3700 is quite a bulky thing. I opted for a Cactus wireless RF604 which is nifty. Gotta say manual flash is work!

Also picked up an external power (SB-4) for the flash (<$15 is too cheap to bother with DIY stuff).

Gonna get a workout this weekend for my sons 6th birthday party bash!

Total bust on the mushroom trip. First time that spot let me down.