Vivitar 28mm f2.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rich00, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi all,

Just recieved my vivitar 28mm f2.5 today and took some shots with it and I'm a bit unsure if it's a dud. My first legacy lens is OM 50mm f1.8 and I really pleased with that, but the vivitar seems to be really bad,soft and lacks contrast. It's the len that look like it has a hood attached. I've already ordered a lens hood, will that help much?

Here is shoot at f2.8
    <a href="" title="083 by Rich_00, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="083"></a>

I think at f4
    <a href="" title="034 by Rich_00, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="034"></a>

Compared to OM 50mm F1.8(at f2.8)

<a href="" title="254 by Rich_00, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="254"></a>

I'm thinking of getting an OM 28mm f2.8 now as vivitar is abit of let down. IS the OM 28mm f2.8 just as sharp as the OM 50mm f1.8 wide open ?
  2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I use the Vivitar 28mm 2.5 lens all the time, If it has the serial number that begins with 22 then its the Kiron made one like I got.
    I have always found it a quite capable lens and have never been disappointed. Yes I guess it is slightly soft wide open at 2.5 but sharpens up as soon as its stopped down. I Find tho that when i need to have it at 2.5 its worth it tho.
    I wish i could do a comparison for you of the two lenses you mentioned. I also have an OM1 with a 28mm Zuiko lens on it that an acquaintance left with me a year ago. I wish i could compare the lenses for you but i don't have an OM adapter, and seeing how its the only OM mount lens i possess I cant afford to spend money on another adapter. All my other SLR lenses are MD mount.
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I also have the Vivitar 28mm f2.5. It is good, just not quite what I was looking for. Mainly the 28mm was the wrong focal length for me. It is a beautiful lens, well made. I would sell mine reasonable. But if it was the only lens that I had in that focal length, I would not feel too handicapped.
    Your shots with it show just how capable it is. Maybe up the contrast just a tad and maybe add edge sharpening.. Though not necessary. Work with it a bit and you may find it to be your favorite.
  4. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok, I might hang onto it a little longer and try more shots stopped down and see how I go then.
  5. uhhitsfuzzy

uhhitsfuzzy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Hey, what adapter did you get for the vivitar? I can't seem to find some online.
  6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have both the 28/2 and 28/2.8 (both Komine-made close focus). Both are very good wide open but as all lenses do, get better as you stop down.

In the photo you posted, I can't speak for the f2.5 version, but my 28/2 is much better than that even at f2. My worst lens wide open is the Konica 40/1.8, but even that is not as bad as the shot of the girl you posted. I'm wondering, have you perhaps missed the focus? Or got the wrong adapter that won't get a good focus? Maybe there's haze in the lens?