1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Vivitar 24m/2 FD - Worth Fixing?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by peripatew, Nov 8, 2013.

1. peripatew

peripatew Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    I asked this two+ years ago without much helpful response. Decided to pursue the topic again. When I got my GH2 in 2011, my dad gave me his old Canon lenses. Most weren't anything special, but there's something about this one that just feels NICE. Perfect shape, other than the aperture blades are stuck. Googling said it's a pretty common problem, oil build up, but I can't seen to find a way to take it apart. Everything else looks good on it, no fungus that I can tell.

I have a connect for lens repairs, I'm guessing it would be around $45?

Is there any history with this lens? On ebay they've gone for $19-$200 in various mounts.

I don't particularly need the lens, but since it has some family history I'd quite like to use it (perfectly smooth focus ring too), but don't want to invest the money if these aren't any good.

Thanks for the thoughts.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it was me I'd get it fixed and try it out. As you would only have $45 total investment I'm sure you can get more the that if you sold it. I own the 24mm 2.8 and it is excellent.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If it were me, I would get it fixed for $45. Though you may want to try and look around, to see if you can find a disassembly thread somewhere. IIRC, my V28/2 had the entire nose unscrew to access the front elements. Now it is a wonderful operator.

5. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    Kiron lenses are highly regarded. I have one, and love it. I would definitely get it fixed if the cost is not too great.