1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar 19mm f/3.8 on m43

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TassieFig, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Way way back I used to shoot with a Pentax ME Super with a few different lenses and the kit is still sitting in my parents house doing nothing. I will get my hands on the lenses in January when they make the trip to the southern hemisphere. As I wont have to shell out more than $10 for an adapter I'm excited to give them a try.

The lenses are:
    Pentax 50 f/2
    Vivitar 28-105 f/2.8-3.5 Macro
    Vivitar 19 f/3.8

Now, the 50mm and the zoom shouldn't pose any problems but I wonder how a 19mm would work on a m4/3 (EM-5 in my case)??? Does anyone have this and can show some examples? I just assume there will be some strange distortions going on but I have no experience really. What can I expect?

If anyone has any comments on the other two, go ahead. Love to see some pictures!!!

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I used to own one. It's adequately sharp, but since it's bulky and slow, it's not worth the trouble to acquire or to adapt.

3. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ok, but since I already own it and will get an adapter anyway I was more interested in the potential distortion, or other issues, with such a wide angle lens on m43...
    I'm not just going to throw it away because it is a bit slow :wink:

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    On APS-C sensor there is some barrel distortion. So there should be less distortion on m43. I would wager that if you can see it, it will be easy to correct. F8 and be there :) Look forward to your samples!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks RnR, that's good to hear :thumbup:

I'm not sure I understand why there would be less distortion on m43 compared to APS-C. My logic tells me it would be the other way around :confused:

I was quite surprised to see some K mounts on eBay for ~$300 dollars. Not sure they actually sell though...

6. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I'd guess because generally, distortion increases with distance from the centre of the lens (image circle), and a mu43 camera will use a smaller area around that centre.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ah, of course! That does make sense...
    Thanks for that simple explanation

8. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have that lens in a Konica mount and distortion is not really a problem.

• Like Like x 1