Showcase Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 Series 1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This lens is a tank but a nice bargain fast telephoto to adapt. Mine was OM mount.

Wide open at f/2.3 with an unusually patient insect and lots of luck:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

What a fantastic catch, Amin!

3. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Fantastic capture. Super sharp for wide open.

5. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks Steve! A couple more samples of this old cult classic lens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I can't resist- this is with the 135/2.3 Vivitar Series 1 Wide-open on the Nikon Ftn.

[​IMG]

This is the first Telephoto lens that I am aware of that used close-range-correction optics, ie a floating element. Nikon used them in wides and only recently in telephoto lenses. My Vivitar is from ~1973, bought it from Dante Stella for $60 a few years ago. It is big, uses 72mm filters... like my 50mm lens

7. apt-efx

apt-efx Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi Amin, that is a great shot of the insect! The background complements the color of the insect too!

Your images are always so sharp! I just got an old manual focus lens today and been playing with it but somehow the sharpness left me wanting.. I should practice more with that lens!

8. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Brian, that's a beautiful photo of your daughter. The Vivitar does very well from close range, has a great feel for manual focus, is built to last, and has a nice built in hood as well. Lots to recommend it, with the only real issue being color fringing, which unfortunately is magnified on a 4/3 sensor. I paid twice what you did and bought from a less well known person :smile:.

9. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks apt-efx! Looking forward to seeing some of your adapted lens photos!

10. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I used the 135/2.3 in Pentax PK (bayonet) mount. It was one of my workhorses, especially when recording school plays. Bear in mind that the M42 screwmount version is not multicoated. My Series One 200/3 was scremount, and that could explain why I always found its colors more dull than the 135/2.3's.