Showcase Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 Series 1

Amin Sabet

Administrator
This lens is a tank but a nice bargain fast telephoto to adapt. Mine was OM mount.

Wide open at f/2.3 with an unusually patient insect and lots of luck:

708599651_HLERq-O-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Thanks Steve! A couple more samples of this old cult classic lens:

4429945453_db9f31a37e_o.jpg

4429945423_e1141099bd_o.jpg

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can't resist- this is with the 135/2.3 Vivitar Series 1 Wide-open on the Nikon Ftn.

View attachment 142132

This is the first Telephoto lens that I am aware of that used close-range-correction optics, ie a floating element. Nikon used them in wides and only recently in telephoto lenses. My Vivitar is from ~1973, bought it from Dante Stella for $60 a few years ago. It is big, uses 72mm filters... like my 50mm lens

apt-efx

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Amin, that is a great shot of the insect! The background complements the color of the insect too!

Your images are always so sharp! I just got an old manual focus lens today and been playing with it but somehow the sharpness left me wanting.. I should practice more with that lens!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Brian, that's a beautiful photo of your daughter. The Vivitar does very well from close range, has a great feel for manual focus, is built to last, and has a nice built in hood as well. Lots to recommend it, with the only real issue being color fringing, which unfortunately is magnified on a 4/3 sensor. I paid twice what you did and bought from a less well known person :smile:.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Hi Amin, that is a great shot of the insect! The background complements the color of the insect too!

Your images are always so sharp! I just got an old manual focus lens today and been playing with it but somehow the sharpness left me wanting.. I should practice more with that lens!

Thanks apt-efx! Looking forward to seeing some of your adapted lens photos!

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
I used the 135/2.3 in Pentax PK (bayonet) mount. It was one of my workhorses, especially when recording school plays. Bear in mind that the M42 screwmount version is not multicoated. My Series One 200/3 was scremount, and that could explain why I always found its colors more dull than the 135/2.3's.

D

Deleted member 29285

Methinks it is time to revive this thread.
Just bought this lens. Handheld, IS on, and wide open to show narrow depth of field.
I don't know what the flower is, but the range of colors has always fascinated me.

P8090002---web.jpg

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
In the days of film, this was my workhorse telephoto. I owned both the single coated and the multi-coated MC versions. The single coated version transmitted about a half stop more light.. But I preferred the coloration of the multi-coated version.

D

Deleted member 29285

Another shot at my favorite flower, this time with the lens stopped down to f/5.6, and the camera (E-M5 II) on High Res mode.

P8100005---web.jpg

Birger

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Fredriksson
GH5 and Vivitar 135/2.3 series 1
P1000255.JPG

Birger

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Fredriksson
P1004114 copy1.jpg

the butterfly photo was a jpg SOOC in natural mode.

Birger

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Fredriksson
its a Petax lens mount, bought it used in Rotterdam together with a Pentax Me super camera in 1998.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29285

its a Petax lens mount, bought it used in Rotterdam together with a Petax Me super camera in 1998.

Wow, what a find. Time to show the "world" what this lens can do on an m4/3 body.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom