Showcase Vivitar 135mm 2.8 Konica Mount

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Do you think the 135mm is worth buying for $100USD? I haven't been able to find a Bokina for under $250.
I don't really need 1:1, but I'd like to have a lens like this for macro, portraits, etc. that would be more portable than the 40-150Pro.

I've also seen 100mm Rokkor macros for $100+

Thanks!

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Really depends what you want to do with it I guess. The 135 CF isn't at all a bad lens for macro - there are a couple of times when I've posted images from it next to the oly 60 ... which are...... ..... . .... here and here. It's not in the same league as the Bokinas for basic IQ but then few lenses are, and it's longer than they are. If you want cheap + long your other alternatives might be -

Pentax 100/4
Olympus 135/4.5
Vivitar 100/3.5
Vivitar 70-210 (read up on these here - Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography )

If you want 'bokina for cheaper' the tamron 90 is supposedly about 95% as good optically and $$-$$$ less because it doesn't have the same group of collectors raving about it. Same way there are "lester a dines" costing a fortune and the other 90-105 lenses of pretty much an identical design and almost indistinguishable from sample variation quality costing a lot less because they don't have a sticker of teeth on 'em.

Last edited:

tequilapickles

New to Mu-43
Found this lens a couple years ago at a thrift store. Not the close-focusing variant, unfortunately.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
A new lens for me. The close focusing version by Komine, in OM mount too.

A sea of blue from the Wisteria, lens at f/4

and looking into the eye of a Nasturtium, lens at f/8. Hand-held and I think the focus has suffered.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I believe this is a Komine version (S/N 287255xx) in m42 mount, but it is NOT close-focusing. It has 6 aperture blades (2.8 - 22) and a (cracked) plastic/rubber focus ring.

(wide-open at mfd)

I did some comparisons against my Rokkor-X 135/2.8 and they are very close, but istm that the bokeh is a bit creamier on the Rokkor (both wide-open and stopped-down). Regardless, they are close, and sharpness is close as well.

I also have recently acquired an 8-bladed version (2.8 - 16) in Konica K/AR mount, but am lacking an adapter atm. S/N 282380xx, apparently Komine as well, with a metal focus ring.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
I believe this is a Komine version (S/N 287255xx) in m42 mount, but it is NOT close-focusing. It has 6 aperture blades (2.8 - 22) and a (cracked) plastic/rubber focus ring.
View attachment 577298
(wide-open at mfd)

I did some comparisons against my Rokkor-X 135/2.8 and they are very close, but istm that the bokeh is a bit creamier on the Rokkor (both wide-open and stopped-down). Regardless, they are close, and sharpness is close as well.

I also have recently acquired an 8-bladed version (2.8 - 16) in Konica K/AR mount, but am lacking an adapter atm. S/N 282380xx, apparently Komine as well, with a metal focus ring.
My lens is Komine, close focusing, with 8 blades. The aperture adjusts from f/2.8 to f/22 in half stops. Serial number 288076xx. It has Auto Telephoto Close Focusing written around the front of the lens. The focus ring rotates 1 1/2 turns from infinity to max magnification 1:2. Good for fine tuning focus, but quite an exercise if you decide to focus on distant scenery after a macro shot.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Another couple of pics from the 135/2.8 CF.

First the flower of something known locally as the Coral Tree. Flowers are loaded with nectar and popular with our nectar sipping birds.

And a close-up at 1:2 of the stamen,

NACEOD

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Rob
E-M1 with the regular Komine 135/2.8

ISO 3200, 1/500 at 2.8.

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne
This is the T-mount version I found at a thrift store on sale for $1.50. 15 aperture blades. The glass looks fine, but the lens is rather soft. Taken at f/4 on the G9 of our peach tree in blossom yesterday.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom