Visiting Yosemite.... Any suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by abhisheks77, Oct 24, 2014.

1. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Hi,
    I will be visiting Yosemite in end of this month for 4 days. I read about lot of photgraphic places and I will be covering them. But I want to know, what place should be best to reach, at what time ? Waking early morning is difficult for me, but I will have full day, evening and some part of night also. I am not able to figure out Sun direction for various places out of Tunnel View, Glacier Point, Sentinel Dome, Half Dome, Mirror Lake, etc. Sorry about asking very different question, but I do not want to end up like, when I visited Grand Teton after noon. For almost all places, Sun was in non-favorable direction.
    I have OMD E-M1, 12-40mm (with Polarizer), 45mm, 75-300mm and Tripod and would love to do some photography in night as well. Any tips/suggestions for places inside Yosemite and recommended settings on my Camera ?
    Weather - For second night, it may rain and next day it may be cloudy. For rest of days, it will be sunny.
    Regards

2. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    You're in luck because most places in Yosemite aren't best in early morning sun. It's more of a mid morning to late afternoon place. Michael Frye has a book (and I think ebook) that details each area and the best time of day for each month. He also has an iPhone and iPad app with exactly the same information.

I will be there the first week of December taking a photo workshop. Can't wait. Hope you have a great time.

3. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Yosemite is gorgeous and one of my favorite parks. I'm not an early riser and I got plenty of shots I was happy with. Most of mine were taken at the worst time (middle of the day), but I was able to get Tunnel View closer to sunset. Stopping there is a no brainer and a place you can easily drive to. If you have to get shots midday, sometimes doing a black and white treatment can kind of help salvage it or disguise the less than ideal lighting. Glacier Point was an excellent spot as well. We got there fairly early, though after sunrise, but saw a lot of haze or fog. So early wasn't any help there anyway. The hike to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls was brutal but more than worth it, offering fantastic views all the way up, regardless of the time of day. We enjoyed the Taft Point hike, which was relatively easy with breathtaking views. The biggest problem we had was with the crowds. We went ~ end of July so hopefully it will be less crowded this time of year. Some of the stuff I took is in this album. Have a great trip.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501168@N03/sets/72157627953960807/

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Glacier Point in the afternoon, same for tunnel view.

I stayed in the village, if you walk into the meadow before sunset you can get Half Dome with the golden sun on it but you will need heavy HDR bracketing once the meadow is in the shade.
    Note the sun sets very early in the valley, especially now as daylight saving is ending next weekend.

Lots of nice meadows if you drive out the northeast exit of the valley towards LeeVining, and Mono Lake is there.

Take warm clothes.

Barry

5. hitman21988

hitman21988 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I just got back from there a couple weeks ago. Bring a Nice sturdy tri pod! and Plan out a head wa places you want to take sunset pictures at. I only had one True day there so sadly what ever i got, is wa i got. But anyways. Plan and plan is my recommendation.

6. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I don't know if they have it this time of year, but the park service offers starlight walks very cheap:
    http://www.yosemitepark.com/starry-skies.aspx

I think there's a 'full moon' walk also.

Barry

7. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I just went to yosemite a week ago. Don't bother going to the mirror lake, because of the drought, there is absolutely no water... But if you are going at night the sky is amazing!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. abhisheks77

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks all. It is 50% moon on 30th October. Usually it is good to go on full moon or no moon ?

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Depends what you want in your pics. You'll see more stars when the moon is less full or hasn't risen yet, but you'll see the mountains better with a bright moon,

Barry

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The waterfalls of Yosemite will be waterless due to the drought. No snow either in the mountains.

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Glacier point on sunset
    Panorama trail - day hike (moderate)
    Phono trail - day hike (difficult)
    Mariposa Grove - day hike (easy)
    Tenaya lake - must see in late afternoon
    Meadows - again late afternoon
    Mono Lake - must see on sunset (outside of park on east)
    Bodie - ghost gold mining town (outside of park on north-east)

My pics from June 2013, third time in Yosemite and I'll come for more: http://budeny.smugmug.com/2013/Yosemite

12. abhisheks77

Jul 26, 2013
    Thank you very much. I will arrange places on map and will decide them on per day basis.