Visited my dad today...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JamieW, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Drove across the state today to visit my dad. I showed him my new E-M1. As I was leaving he handed me a bag. It was full of camera gear he picked up from a yard sale that I didn't even know he had.

Inside was an OM-10, OM-1 Grip, a Crown Electronic Flash 172 and the following lenses:

- Cimko 80-200 F4.5
    - Auto Makinon mc zoom 28-80mm 3.5-4.5
    - Olympus 35-70 F4
    - Mitsunon Auto 2X Teleconverter (which came attached to the 80-200 F4.5).

Are any of these lenses worth getting an OM to M43 adapter to use? I realize it's only about $10 to $15, but if the lenses (specifically the 80-200) aren't that great, it's $10 to $15 I'd never find a use for.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If it's your dad's old gear, you put it away. If he picked it up for $10 at a yard sale, pitch it. The flash will likely fry the hot shoe electronics in the EM1. That should be pitched for sure.

On the other hand, it's worth $10-12 to buy an OM adapter and tell your Dad later how the lenses worked out for you. As a dad, I'd like to know that kind of stuff .... except I already know. Those third party, third tier lenses struggled to keep pace in the 70's. Today, ugh.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

None of these lenses are really worth picking up an adapter for. The real gems in OM glass are the prime lenses, such as the 100mm f/2.8, any of the macro lenses, etc. Zooms are half-decent but usually not worth the trouble compared to contemporary optics, and third party zooms are usually junkyard-worthy. Your current lenses already give you superior image quality, and you'd have to stop those zooms down a stop or two anyway to get anything usable.