Visited my dad today...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JamieW, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Drove across the state today to visit my dad. I showed him my new E-M1. As I was leaving he handed me a bag. It was full of camera gear he picked up from a yard sale that I didn't even know he had.

Inside was an OM-10, OM-1 Grip, a Crown Electronic Flash 172 and the following lenses:

- Cimko 80-200 F4.5
    - Auto Makinon mc zoom 28-80mm 3.5-4.5
    - Olympus 35-70 F4
    - Mitsunon Auto 2X Teleconverter (which came attached to the 80-200 F4.5).

Are any of these lenses worth getting an OM to M43 adapter to use? I realize it's only about $10 to $15, but if the lenses (specifically the 80-200) aren't that great, it's $10 to $15 I'd never find a use for.
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If it's your dad's old gear, you put it away. If he picked it up for $10 at a yard sale, pitch it. The flash will likely fry the hot shoe electronics in the EM1. That should be pitched for sure.

On the other hand, it's worth $10-12 to buy an OM adapter and tell your Dad later how the lenses worked out for you. As a dad, I'd like to know that kind of stuff .... except I already know. Those third party, third tier lenses struggled to keep pace in the 70's. Today, ugh.
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    None of these lenses are really worth picking up an adapter for. The real gems in OM glass are the prime lenses, such as the 100mm f/2.8, any of the macro lenses, etc. Zooms are half-decent but usually not worth the trouble compared to contemporary optics, and third party zooms are usually junkyard-worthy. Your current lenses already give you superior image quality, and you'd have to stop those zooms down a stop or two anyway to get anything usable.