Visit to Lakeview Cemetery with my newly IR converted camera

protapic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Last Friday UPS delivered my new COVID-19 stay at home project materials from Life Pixel. Emboldened by my recent successful repair of my Panasonic GX85 rear dial, I thought, why not try an IR conversion on my sitting idle and unused G5? The online tutorial seemed not that bad.....

There was a warning however: "Disclaimer: These replacement filters are intended for experienced professionals. Tampering with your camera will void your manufacturer’s warranty. If you decide to perform the conversion you could damage your camera or be hurt or get killed from the high voltage present – you do so at your own risk, we are not responsible for camera damage or any harm you may suffer or any special or consequential damages." Sounds like standard legal scary stuff. I mean, who ever has been killed by a camera?

It took me maybe 20 minutes to get the G5 torn apart to the sensor, and then I realize that the parts sent to me do not look like the tutorial pictures any more. I can not make sense of what to do next...panic starts to set in...did I just ruin a camera and waste $99 on an infrared filter? THANKFULLY, the wonderful techie at Lifepixel answered my call. He pointed out that silly me did not read the fine print for the part I clicked on (Confirm you understand the Frameless Installation info & instructions) when I placed the order. There was a second set of instructions. Again, thankfully, he was extremely helpful in explaining the general deal with the surgery. I was very nervous in completely not re-installing the dust reduction electronics and filter, but did so. After removing the hot mirrors filter and cementing in IR filter (720nm) using provided gasket, I reassembled the camera, inserted battery and card, and turned it on. The LCD fired up and the image was red as it should! I took a shot, and the sounds was really rough compared to what I remembered. But the viewfinder was blank. After taking it apart and reassembling two more times, I found the loose cable and got the viewfinder working again. Yeah!

Lessons learned: Read the fine print, and some jobs should be left to experts!

Next day was rainy, but there was looking to be a 2 hour window for getting out to try camera. I then went for walk through Lake View Cemetery that I explored with GX85 in another post. The G5 was joined by my panny 15mm and sigma 2.8 60mm. I used a white card to set white balance, and processed RAWs in Lightroom and converted these to "mostly" B&W, leaving a red cast that I thought added some character.

IR-Lakeview-002.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IR-Lakeview-001.jpg

IR-Lakeview-003.jpg

IR-Lakeview-004.jpg

IR-Lakeview-005.jpg

IR-Lakeview-006.jpg

IR-Lakeview-007.jpg

IR-Lakeview-008.jpg

IR-Lakeview-009.jpg

IR-Lakeview-010.jpg

IR-Lakeview-011.jpg

IR-Lakeview-012.jpg

IR-Lakeview-013.jpg

thenextpage

Mu-43 Veteran
Awesome photos, and congratulations on a successful surgery! Where in the us is lake view park?

barry

Super Moderator
hurt or get killed from the high voltage present – you do so at your own risk, we are not responsible for camera damage or any harm you may suffer or any special or consequential damages." Sounds like standard legal scary stuff. I mean, who ever has been killed by a camera?
Hi,
Flashes have dangerous voltages inside when charged. Fortunately, my E-M1 has none onboard :p

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Nice job. Cemeteries are one of my favorite subjects, both for normal camera and for my IR converted Oly E-P2. The contrast between stone and foliage works well in IR and cemeteries are full of that...

[Image removed due to pending VerticalScope switchover. I do not agree with expanded licensing grab in their Terms of Service.]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom