Visit Photokina

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danieru, Aug 5, 2012.

1. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I've been hearing alot about Photokina and that new products like the panny 35-100 f2.8 will be announced or showcased, i didn't know what it was so I looked it up and saw that it's being held in Cologne Germany, which is right around the block for me, kinda.

I'm planning on going but was wondering wheter any members have ever visited Photokina and share experiences.

I'm not a professional photographer nor amateur more of a casual photographer, but I love keeping in touch with new tech.

Is Photokina also for the casual photographer or more for pro and amateur.

2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Photokina is for everyone. The reports in magazines and online tend to concentrate on the more expensive items of new equipment, but there is plenty for everyone.

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    I attended Photokina two years ago while I was in Germany to visit relatives, but only the exhibition area. It was a great experience. It's a huge event anyone with an interest in photography would enjoy (kind of like attending the Berlin Auto Show, if you like cars). If you're near enough to attend just for the day, I encourage you to check it out. I wish I was close enough to go again this year!

4. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Thanks for your replies I've made up my mind I'm going to attend the Photokina :) looking forward in experiencing the event

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    My first (and up to now only) Photokina was in 1968 (I think). I wasn't into photography then, but a fellow student at Cambridge was, and I spoke German. So he talked me into going. We hitchhiked.

I'll be going this year, having discovered photography since retirement. The good part is I get in cheaper, and I can go during the week when it's not so full.

Anyone want to arrange meetings? I'll probably be going on Wednesday or Thursday.