Would you be interested in a fun photo assignment?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe (thoughts in a reply to this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I think the idea is great and I am sure I would benefit from the challenges, but there is a reason I havent participated in any of the ongoing challenges/Assignments and that's because I would never get around to do the assignment, I would feel bad and then I would do one because of guilt.

But I would love it if I had the time and the self motivation.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I like the concept. Similar to the weekly photo challenge, but a bit more open-ended. But I know myself well enough to doubt whether I would actually complete the assignments on a regular basis.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
We've done it before, and it can be fun, just don't apply too many constraints.

52 weeks in 2019 | Mu-43 (mu-43.com)

Some things that come to mind: Don't be too rigorous with the schedule, allow people to play catch-up if needed. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same gear, so stay away from topics that require things like studio lighting, etc. Don't require a sign up. We had people come and go, only a handful of us finished the year, and that was fine too. The fun was in seeing how people interpreted the assignment. Mountain did a fantastic job of posting the new challenge for the week. The only real rule was that the photo was supposed to be made after you saw the challenge, but even that was broken a few times. If you peruse the thread you'll see how it progressed.

As for being like the other current challenge, I don't see how that matters at all. There are forums like Dyxum that run multiple contests/challenges simultaneously. Some join one, some another, some all.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll say yes, but like @John King I really mean that I'll try but no guarantees. My problem generally isn't the picture taking, it's the uploading. I had a decent record last winter and spring, but when summer came around we got busy buying and selling a house (downsizing now that the kids have moved out) and I got out of the routine. Maybe something like this will get me back into a routine?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
The key to this is @John King @StefanKruse @mfturner et al, is to participate at your own pace. If you look through that thread in the link I posted you'll see an awful lot of catching up and skipped weeks. Many folks never finished the challenge. Some started late. Having done a 52 week challenge once, it can be a bit much when life gets in the way. Maybe two-week challenges would be better?

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, i was just now glancing though the other thread and it started really strong, super strong really, outstanding photos in the first lights challenge, but the last couple of pages were a little sad by comparison. So pacing and flexibility of the thread to allow catch up posts are required I think.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I have difficulties with anything that starts with "photos must be taken within ... ". I'm hopeless at that.

Also, my SWMBO is very good at saying "Can you just ... ", which can take all day. IMO that phrase ought to be banned from the language.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Hi all,

basing this on this thread and some thoughts I had therein: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/almost-gave-up-on-photography.110682/

Short version: The pandemic has completely ruined my enthusiasm for photography. A weekly photo challenge with like-minded shooters would be a good motivator to make some pictures.

I love the idea, @robcee. Like you, my attention has been drawn away from photography for some time. I was active in this forum years back, but have been away for a while. Lately my gear has been starting to gather dust Something like this sounds like a good way to get re-motivated.

To the concern that there may be similar threads or challenges ongoing on this forum, I say "who cares". It sounds like you've got a slightly different vision, but even if you didn't, having another series of challenges isn't going to hurt anyone.

In terms of how to manage it. I would say a single thread for each "challenge" or increment would work well. Your idea reminds me a bit of a series of non-competitive "shot-a-day" challenges that we did on this site many years back:
I share these ancient posts not to redirect your vision, but to remind what the community here can produce. Like with the Field of Dreams, "if you build it, they will come."

- K

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom