Viogtlander RF lenses on OMD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tl1234, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013

Has anyone tried the following lenses on the OMD:

VC 40 1.4
    VC 25 4.0

Would you be kind enough to share your thoughts on IQ and overall performance?

Thanks a lot!
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

3. TDP

TDP Guest

4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I know it isn't in your question but my experience of both the CV Nokton 25mm f0.95 and more particularly the CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 [Leica M mount] is that build and optical quality are outstanding. I now use the 50 almost all the time as a street lens [on an OM-D] — very smooth focus, great wide open and with a lens hood very rare flare with lights in the frame. Ideal optics for performance or rock. Very kind for wrinkles in portraiture if you open wide. I still have an M3 body, though I use my Noktons exclusively on m43 bodies. For the price [vs even 2nd-hand Leica lenses] they are great buys. I imagine the 40 at f1.4 would be great on either m43 or Leica M. I used to have a Leica CL with a 40mm f2 Summicron lens. Wish I had kept it for use to day with my OM-D. An 80mm [eq] at f1.4 would be terrific.
  5. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't have either of those, but love the CV Nocton 50 f1.1. It is about the easiest MF lens I have used on the OMD, very quick to focus and just a spectacular lens short of the Noctilux.
    Another CV lens I have been using is the 15 f4.5. You set infinity at at f4.5 and shut down to f5.6 and you have everything from 3' to infinity in focus.
    Best kept secret of the OMD are the use of M mount lenses. All my CV/Leitz lenses fit my M6, M8 and OMD.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tl1234

tl1234 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks for all your helpful answers. Very much appreciated.

Hi Haans, I have a question. Are you getting the same great IQ on with your 50 Nokton on your OMD as you do on your M8? I've been reading cases that some RF lenses lose a bit of IQ when mounted on m43 bodies.
  7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My understanding is that since the m43 sensor is smaller than that of 35mm film, the lenses should actually be sharper on an m43 since the m43 sensor is only recording the image circle from the center of the lens. The issues I've read about regarding poor performance of RF lenses on m43 bodies are limited solely to the wider focal lengths (wider than 24mm), but as I understand it, that issue isn't limited to RF lenses, it's with any wide angle lens adapted for m43 use. I forget the reasoning behind it though.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The image circle is smaller, yes, but remember the pixel density on that area is much, much higher; the highest a full frame Leica goes for is 18 megapixles, the almost 4 times smaller (surface area) micro 43 sensor is about 16, so you might run into resolution limits sooner.
  9. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm not having a problem with the 1.1 or the 15mm. Both are very sharp (15mm at 4.5). I think most folks that complain about .095 or 1.1 lenses are actually complaining about the DOF, especially the .95 which is mm's wide open.