Viogtlander Pan 35 f/2.5 & Olympus M.Zuiko 45 f/1.8

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OSidPhoto, Nov 20, 2011.

1. OSidPhoto

OSidPhoto New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2010
    Karachi, Pakistan
    I am a GF1 user and besides the Lumix 20mm f1.8, I also use several legacy lenses from Pentax M42 and Olympus OM mount.

Right now, I find myself torn between the following two lenses.

Voigtlander Color-Skopar Pan Type II 35mm f/2.5
    Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8

Of course, the Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 would be a manual lens, used with an "slim" Leica M adapter, where as the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 being a native MFT lens would be with complete auto focus capability.

I want to use the lens primarily as a single lens walk-around option for street photography and Portraits. (Portraits would be more than 60 percent of its use) I wanted the focal length to be longer than my 20mm, but shorter than a 50mm and am looking for a lens that wouldn't protrude to much in front of the camera, as is the case with any of my other legacy lenses when these are used with the MFT adapter.

Both of the above lenses fall within a similar price range. I dropped the Voigtlander 35 f/1.4 due to it being more than 200 dollars more expensive.

I would appreciate if any one of you can share their experiences with the above two lenses, which could help in highlighting pros and cons of these lenses, and enabling me to reach a final decision.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I'm in a similar situation.
    I have the Voigtlander 40mm 1.4, which I like a lot.
    I'm tempted to get the 45 1.8 from the images I've seen posted.
    I'm not sure if I should sell the Voigtlander and get the 45, or if they are too similar to keep it.
    Well, I guess it's nice that we are having more choices.
    If you don't mind MF, the Voigtlander lenses are very nice.
    If it were me, I would probably go for the Olympus lens because of the better system compatability.
  3. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    CV is smaller
    CV will fit on other cameras (e.g. a NEX body)
    CV will keep it's value, the Zuiko will drop
    Zuiko is silver only (what were they thinking?)
    Zuiko has AF
    45mm (90mm) may be a more useful focal length than 35mm (70mm)
    f1.8 is substantially faster than f2.5 (low light, easier to achieve out-of-focus background)

Given those two choices and your street/portrait interest, I'd go for the Zuiko, though I'd probably also consider other rangefinder lenses: e.g. CV 40/1.4, Canon RF 50/1.8, Canon RF 50/1.4, Pen F 40/1.4, Pen F 38/1.8, etc...