1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vintage photoshoot

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by pake, May 16, 2019 at 5:37 AM.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I joined this TFCD group in Facebook a few months ago and noticed a couple asking for a photographer to create a vintage photo of them. I volunteered right away since I need(ed) more experience in shooting people and had created a similar photo not that long ago. They had old photos of their relatives (grandparents etc.) and wanted similar photos of themselves. The idea was to make the photos look old with scratches etc. TBH (in retrospective) I was too afraid to ruin the photos and was perhaps a bit too subtle with my editing. I made a couple of different actions in Photoshop so I now can easily turn any photo into a vintage one. ;) 

So... We met at the couple's home and shot there. There were just enough space for the shoot and the walls were pretty great so didn't have to use my backdrop + stands at all - which was a nice surprise. Since this photo shoot was in February I can't remember anymore whether I shot these with "2x Godox TT350o" or "Godox TT685o + TT350o" combo. And I think I had white umbrellas on both flashes and shot through them (or bounced the light of other walls to get even softer light). (Perhaps I should write these things down for later references... :D  )

What I do remember is that I shot with my E-M5 and 12-40mm f/2.8. And I did deliberately shoot with high ISO to get appropriate/natural noise to the photos.

46251289355_a57c04bcef_h.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574507 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

46251289155_67ee2b69e4_h.jpg
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574509 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

46251288925_49e6520b34_h.jpg
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574523 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

46251288615_30172965f2_h.jpg
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574549 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

46251288275_5d391f69b1_h.jpg
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574560 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

46251288055_b2a529866e_h.jpg
    Mira & Markus - 2019/02 - EM574593 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

C&C appreciated.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. It sort of stands out as being too sharp and detailed! The PP looks good though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. pake

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Thanks. Yep. I should have been waaaay more aggressive with the blur filters and other "ruining" methods. :D  I think I gave 'em a few versions with softer image than I posted online.

4. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Awesome they look as though they were 1890ds
    The poses and cloths are spot on she looks like my great,great grand mother

5. pake

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Thank you!! :) 
    In fact one thing I liked about the shoot was the fact that I didn't really need to pose the couple since people didn't smile in the photos back in the days. That helped me to concentrate more on the technical part. Obviously I still needed to ask them to sometimes raise their chins and tell 'em where to look at etc. But it was a very educating experience and I'm happy I did it.

6. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
    Nice set with good feel and PP.
    Think the feel in the images would be even better with a softer and dreamy look, maybe try to make a composit with second picture and add in a floor more contemporary for the look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.