Viltrox NF-M43X speed booster with Nikon E Series Lenses

thecypher

New to Mu-43
Hi, New to using vintage lenses on MFT body. Have a Lumix DC-G95 and have purchased a Viltrox NF-M43X speed booster. Also acquired 3 Nikon E Series Lenses - 100mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8 and 28mm 2.8.

Two questions:

1. Has anybody had any luck mounting the Nikon E Series 28mm F2.8 to the Viltrox adapter? Looks like a large black tab on the rear side of the lens is preventing the lens from locking into the adapter. I have no issues mounting the 100mm and 50mm lenses.
2. For E Series lenses with an aperture ring, do we use the aperture ring on the lens or the aperture ring on the adapter? If we need to use the ring on the lens, then what should the ring on the adapter be set to and vice versa?

Thanks
SJ

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Most of the adapters that have an aperture control (1 to 8) have no relation between the numbers and the aperture. They are there to allow us to open and shut the aperture when the lens does not have a manual control ring - such as Nikon G-series lenses.

Far better to use the lens based aperture ring - in time I get to know the steps for each lens and know the f-stop I have set based on the number of "clicks" without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

71VE0Fs3udL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now - that Nikon 100mm E-series lens is wonderful; mine is as good as it was when I bought it near 40 years ago despite the plastic build. It makes a fantastic lightweight "fast 200mm" lens for portraits on M4/3 without a "speed booster" - and that is how I like to use it since it gives me a very different perspective to the 42.5mm native autofocus M4/3 lenses from Olympus, Panasonic and Yi (all of which lenses are just wonderful and have cured me of looking for vintage "nifty-fifties" on eBay !)

The fast 200mm-equivalent gives a narrow field of view and can cut out distracting backgrounds in portraits - great for those of us without a studio! There is a good "F-Stoppers" video that shows you the idea and gives some good inspiration - "How to control your background with a 70 - 200 telephoto lens" at

best wishes - Paul C in the UK

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom