1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

VILTROX EF-M2 speedboster for Canon EF-lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Svein, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Svein

Svein New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2015
    Svein Wilhelm
    I just wonder if anyone here have tried this adapter? It seems like a bargain relative to the Metabones...Viltrox on Ebay for about 120 USD. And it get lots of praise on YouTube, in several combinations.

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    I have the plain tube version of the adapter and have some problems with it in regards to AF being reliable with the E-M1II.

A caveat to the optics version you're looking at well:
    It isn't the adapter you want to use for super fast or super wide/exotic glass when compared to the Metabones adapter if you want to get every bit of image quality out of the lens. If you just want to adapt lenses you already have or have inexpensive options then it'd be worthwhile to play with.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    I use it on Sigma 70-200mm 2.8(50-142 f2). AF on EM1 is slow, but usable on static birds.
    Here is 100% crop:
    _C192911_DxO.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I have only used it with adapted nikon glass ( 50mm f1.2 ) so I can't comment on the AF. Optically it appears to me to be excellent. Build quality is very good too. The only complaint that I have with it is when using manual lenses you have to tape the contacts. Otherwise it will show an error.
    SOOC probably between f1.4 - f2?
    20190106164614.JPG

Edited
    20190106164614-01.jpeg

5. SoulRebel

SoulRebel New to Mu-43 Subscribing Member

Sep 27, 2018
    London, UK
    I have a couple of these, yet to road-test them extensively but I have an event coming up soon so will really see. At under £100 (from one UK seller) its an affordable punt for me.

Major compromise I'm seeing so far is around AF speed, though this is also camera and lens dependent. The Canon 100mm f2 I found so unusable (on EM1.1 and EM5.2) I had to sell on (possible I had a faulty lens), but the old 135mm f2.8 SF works well enough (though very noisy which I can live with), it is a very old lens but plenty sharp and gives a decent and portable prime AF telephoto option (96mm f2) not available natively. C-AF is a non-starter, but again not an issue for me since most of my shooting is S-AF.

Will be trialling two old Sigma lenses with the EF-M2 soon, the 17-50mm f2.8 (gives 12-36 f2) and the 50-150mm f2.8 (gives 35-105 f2). The Sigma lenses were I believe designed for APS-C cameras, but are EF mount. There is a slight amount of vignetting with the 17-50, not enough experience to tell whether this wil turn into a major handicap. Haven't tried out the 50-150 (got it a day before flying out on holiday). But both appear to focus much more quickly with the EM5.2 than the EM1.1 - not quite as fast as a native lens but not far short. Am hoping these both work out as they'll give me a couple of slightly faster zoom options.

I also have the EF-M1 non-focal reducer adaptor, am using this with a Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS-STM (EF-S mount). The adaptor is advertised as being good for EF and EF-S, though I took the combo with me on holiday with the EM5.2 and had no auto-focus at all (no C-AF option, and inoperable S-AF). MF saved the day, and it is a decent lens IQ wise. I'd tried it previously with the EM1.1 and AF is slow but usable.

For my shooting needs they've been a worthwhile addition, and give me options I didn't previously have. Not seeing a major IQ penalty so far but it's early days, I will become attuned over time so will make the judgement. What is beyond question is the fun they have added to my overalll shooting experience, so on those grounds alone I'd definitely recommend. Might be a different story if I were a working pro, though.

6. scottychop

scottychop Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Seattle
    Scott
    Any thought on the Sigma or Tamron 100-300 lenses? I’m looking for budget reach.

7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the EF-M2, and on my G9, most of my Sigma lenses do okay. Speed is useable, but you must watch the focus, as I often end up with the AF indicator green but the subject isn’t in focus.

8. yslee

yslee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Which Sigmas do you have? I may want to go down this route one day for certain long telephoto options, so I'd like to know what worked in a usable (or not-usable) fashion.

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    For long teles, 70-200/2.8 old version non OS, 120-300/2.8 older, 50-500 also older. All three are HSM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.