1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Viltrox EF-M2 - EF to M 4/3 Electronic Focal Reducer (Speedbooster) New Low price - $117.75

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Telonson, Aug 17, 2018.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Can anyone confirm if this would work with a Tamron 150-600 Ef lens?

2. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    I have just confirmed that the EF-M2 will work with old manual Olympus OM lenses, with a SILVER adapter, on an OLYMPUS OM-D camera, disproving several theories in this thread. ;) 

I have attached several pictures, including a "proof" picture taken with the above mentioned setup, as well as pictures of the setup itself.

I think the takeaway message is that with this adapter, everything is (im-)possible, and the only way to confirm your setup works or not is by trying it.

Latest firmware on all electronic components involved. No taping whatsoever.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    It's not too bad, really. At least it's sharp when stopped down and still fairly lightweight. I found it works nice for landscapes in good sunlight!
    Interestingly, I found a thread by accident where another person has the same problem. I'm linking it here to densify the result network for these keywords :p  : Anyone using ef-m2 with ef-s lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  4. That is encouraging.

My next investigation is to see if the locking pin is engaging fully. I had problems with early "no name" adapters on the OM-D E-M1.2 that had a locking pocket that was not deep enough, which kept the camera in "dark mode."
    p4049532-jpg.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    I measured the depth of that hole with a caliper, and it gives me 0.8mm. Of course your camera could have different requirements for it to work, but it seems to be enough for my OM-D E-M10.

6. Kharan

Kharan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    How much is it stopped down automatically? Just f/5.6, or something worse?

7. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    At the wide end: The lens is f/4.5 wide open, so with the speed booster it should go to f/3.2 (gain 1 stop). However, It will only open to effective f/4.5 (lens set to f/6.3). You lose exactly 1 stop.
    I don't remember the behavior at the long end, but I think it's exactly the same.

Note that the lens vignettes ever-so-slightly at the wide end, and the non-vignetting range starts at effective ~8mm. If you have any crop (like in video mode), there's no vignetting.

8. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
  9. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    My apologies for triple posting, just want to inform all the people affected by it!
    The latest firmware fixes this issue. See here: Anyone using Viltrox ef-m2 with ef-s lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kharan

Kharan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    That's great, thanks!

11. FarFromSane

FarFromSane Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 28, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I'd like to use it with some long Canon lenses (300, 100-400 etc)
    Ive seen some posts where autofocus has problems with the em1-2.. Has recent firmware fixed it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.