1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Viltrox EF-M2 - EF to M 4/3 Electronic Focal Reducer (Speedbooster) New Low price - $117.75

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Telonson, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-d5237.html

This compares to the Metabones Ultra. It has autofocus support and .71x focal reduction (speedboosting) adding a full stop of light to any EF lenses.

2. So, has anyone used one of these?

I'm very dubious of cheap "speed boosters." I've had three, including a Metabones Ultra, and the cheap Chinese stuff simply is not as good as the Metabones—some severely so, some nearly so.

On the other had, if this this is reasonable optically, the price is only a little more than an EF -> MFT no-glass adapter.

3. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    i have one and use it with sigma 18-35 1.8 af is not as fast as native but i use it for video works well for the price

4. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    It's been tested. The optics of the Viltrox are excellent. In this test and others, little difference has been found when using common lenses like the Sigma 18-35mm.

Viltrox EF-M2 Adaptor Tested!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. My beef with this speed booster is that it does not work with manual lenses.

I got one for $117 a while back, and then got an EF —> OM adapter, but guess what? You get a blank screen, at least on the OM-D E-M1.2.

Their support was very quick with a solution: put some tape over the contacts. I replied that changing the firmware so that it will work with manual lenses might be very attractive to their potential customer base, as the small EF register distance means a wide variety of adapters are possible. They could compete with a half-dozen different Metabones adapters for Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, and more! But alas, it won't work with any of these manual focus lenses without taping over the contacts, which makes it lose autofocus and EXIF lens info on Canon lenses.

7. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    Manual lenses work on my Panasonic GX85. Latest firmware on all parts. "Shoot without lens" is turned ON in the settings.
    No taping over the contacts necessary in this case.

I can see how it might not work on your camera, though -- My experience with the EF-M2 has been very inconsistent across different lenses and cameras.

8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    I own the Viltrox EF-M1, which is the plain tube version of the M2 but otherwise shares the same autofocus from the eletronics side. Autofocus does not work reliably on the E-M1II with my lenses back when they released a firmware update a while back.

Good luck for anyone else using it with any other body. I was hoping to try out a plain tube so I could try some TC stacking but even with normal lenses the autofocus performance is pretty mediocre.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    It works fine with manual lenses.

It's your OM to EF adapter that is causing the problem. Same situation with the Metabones when using conductive metal adapters.

Either tape over the contacts (or the OM to EF lens adapter), or get an OM to EF adapter that isn't electrically conductive. My multi-meter reports that the black adapters don't conduct and the silver ones do. The black OM to EF adapters cost the same $5 as the silver ones.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kharan

Kharan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    Do you know if it's compatible with EF-S lenses? I don't quite believe the claims on Viltrox's website, since it doesn't seem like the adapter has enough clearance between the bayonet and the glass.

11. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    It is, but the black plastic protrusion on the rear of the lens will have to be removed.

Some youtube videos on the procedure. Some cut it away, others just grab it with pliers and pull. It pops right off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    It is. That's the reason I got it in the first place. No official compatibility though, so it's hit and miss for different lenses. Also you need a dremel job for some of them as Telonson explained!
    I can confirm it "works" with the latest Canon 10-18mm (vignettes at the wide end) and with a 18-55mm kit lens (don't know which version exactly).
    There is one issue on the 10-18mm, which is that the aperture control doesn't work properly. As a result, it's impossible to open the aperture fully. It will open and close, just not open fully.

13. Kharan

Kharan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    That's a big bummer, because the 10-18mm STM was exactly the lens I had in mind for this, and it's already slow enough as-is.
    Thanks to both you and Telonson for the input.

14. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    If you like, please write Viltrox an email describing the issue: info@jyc-hk.com
    They are fairly responsive, although there is some language barrier.
    Only by showing them that this lens is desired to be adapted using their adapter, they will consider support. A previous firmware update brought working AF to the lens. Maybe a future update will bring correct aperture control?
    What is frustrating is that an older firmware controls the aperture correctly, but there, the AF doesn't work...

15. I'm not quite buying this.

If I take off the EF —> OM adapter, looking just through the Viltrox, there is still no image on the OM-D E-M1.2, and the shutter will not even trip. One would expect something to come through!

Conversely, if I put the Metabones SBU on without a lens, I do see — and can snap a photo of — a very, very fuzzy image.

My metal EF —> OM adapter does not make physical contact with any of the electrical contacts of the Viltrox, so it's hard to imagine how a single contact (the adapter) could complete any circuit in a way that could be detected.

Sorry, I'm going to have to take the word of Viltrox tech support over yours.

Perhaps you're using a Panny body, which others note works if you set it properly for no lens. There doesn't seem to be a similar setting for Olympus.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  16. I got a response within one day to the following! Feel free to copy/edit/send this to Viltrox, if you feel the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    I have an EF-M1 and tried it a Canon 55-250mm. It almost, but not quite auto-focuses... it appears to back-focus slightly (e.g., if I focus on something, that something is slightly out-of-focus, but something in the close background is sharp). I've kept the firmware updated to the latest and I also provided Viltrox with sample images awhile ago.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is with an OM-D E-M5 mii.

18. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Focal reducers can require adjustment to achieve infinity focus.

Metabones has a page on their site detailing the procedure. Viltrox doesn't but it's much the same. Though with the Viltrox, no screw has to be loosened. The lens (on the lens attachment side, not the camera attachment side) can be turned. Turn a bit, test, turn a bit more, test again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Oh you just gave me a reason to buy one, as I have OM glass and would love to use it. But I'm shooting Oly, so I'll have to wait for them to fix the firmware... Csn you somehow test it on EM10ii? I have two Oly bodies

20. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.