1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vikuiti screen protectors from 3M

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ricoh, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I wonder if anyone has used one of the 'Vikuity' screen protectors, by chance? Its a 3M product, going by the product description, and seems to be of flexi- rigid construction. Couldn't see a review on the forum, but feedback elsewhere, e.g. Amazon, seems to be positive.
    Anyway, I've ordered one for the PEN E-P5 and another for the EM5. Will provide feedback myself if anyone wishes to hear further.

2. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    I'm interested to hear what you think of these. What did they cost?

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Hellishly expensive. Impossible (for me) to install without trapped dust particles. Also the best.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    About £7 each of the 'Bay', about $11 approx.
    The video I watched sort of implies that you can take them off and reapply, even giving them a wash and blow-dry inbetween!
    Oldracer, are you saying you've tried these yourself, with limited success, but still consider them to be the best. Reading between the lines, as it were, it suggests you had problems with the dreaded dust, but possibly corrected the situation and reapplied. We've got a clean room with positive atmospheric pressure at work, but I'm sure they wouldn't allow me in with a camera!

PS Why don't camera manufacturers fit screen protectors and ship straight from the factory to the customer. Beats me!

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I have used them for years on Windows tablet computers. They are incredibly tough and have a soft matte finish that eliminates reflections from the shiny tablet screens. They also claim to enhance contrast and sunlight readability, which I think they do to a degree. Re cost, for a tablet-sized piece IIRC it was $20-30 which is a lot for a piece of plastic. I have a friend that works for 3M who says that some of the films they sell are so profitable that they would lose money per square foot if they printed $20 bills instead! Great products, but not cheap.

I have never seen the need for a screen protector on a camera. I am not writing on the camera like I am writing with a stylus on a tablet. For sunlight viewing it might help a bit. As for impact protection I can't see that a little bit of film will make much difference.

I have never installed one without having a few tiny dust specks that result in tiny bubbles between the film and the screen. They are not nice cosmetically but don't effect things functionally. So I live with them.

I've found it impossible to correct. Peel the stuff off and attempt to remove a bit of dust just means that other dust particles have a chance to attach themselves and things get worse.

Well if you could do it, or just use a laminar flow bench, that would be The Way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OliveratExpertShield

OliveratExpertShield New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi guys,

I noticed your post and though I would help out.

@Richo if you're getting dust under the protector it could just been that the screen needs to be cleaned properly first or that there might even be dust on the protector itself. We have a blog post on our site which might be help to you, http://goo.gl/wMJjRb

Also, if any of you are struggling with bubbles you can check this out and it should help http://goo.gl/7zyGDR

If you guys have any more questions just post and I'll help you out.

Oliver - Expert Shield UK