1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

vignetting

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by bfenner, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bfenner

bfenner Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    I've been experimenting with adding vignetting to some photos for effect. I realize that, as with all art, this is a matter of taste. I'm wondering what people think of the amount of vignette on the following photos. Too much, too little, not necessary? Thanks!
    077.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    [​IMG]
    112.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

They all look good to me, bfenner, with the vignetting. It's difficult to judge "either or" without seeing the photos without a vignette. The only one I feel I might wonder about is the first - not that I don't like it as is, but it could be interesting to see if having the outer edges lighter might make a difference in a positive way.

All of this has to take into account that we are all looking at these with our own computers screens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The first one is probably too subtle/too little.

The second one works well.

I don't think the last one doesn't benefit from vignetting...would detract from the details at the edge of the frame like the hands.

Just imho of course.

4. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Hi, They all look great to me, great pictures.

Personally I like pictures where you are drawn to the subject, vignetting can help doing this when subject is around the middle of the picture.

It looks like the third one has the strongest vignetting?? It works in this picture also because the hands are blurred you attentiond goes directly to the eyes of the women an the leafs she is looking at.

Nice!!

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

They work for me - #2 works best.

6. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    nice shots, I like them very much

I like "vignetting" also in pp, particularly if associated with saturated colors such as in this photos; it reminds me the pics taken with kodamatic/polaroid camera

7. Jamie

Jamie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2010
    England
    Im a vignette addict, I add it to most of my photos, even if its just a small amount. To me it makes a picture feel more like a photograph heyho

8. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i really like the 3rd picture..the blur is great. when i hear vignetting i think Holga...and i don't see that here...but that's me....

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm like Jamie above . Try to think of the process as burning the corners and edges.
    It's traditional amongst film shooters to burn the corners around 10%-20% to hold the eyes to the image, as stated above.

So most images benefit from the vignette and by adjusting the Size and Amount, it becomes a very effective device. I think you are off to a good start.

10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I use vignette 2 in LR an awful lot and sometimes wonder whether I should! I like the effect very much because it causes you to focus on the subject. I think it works really well on your last picture and also the black and white. I'm not so sure about the first one as the subject takes almost all of the frame in any case. Love the last picture of the lady playing in the leaves :) 

11. I'm starting to apply vignetting more often as it seems to suit the style of photography which I use my Pen for. I think your second photo is spot on. I would actually be inclined to increase the vignetting on the third picture as it would make the picture more dynamic by accentuating the circular motion created by the leaves and the movement of her hands. Great photo, BTW.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Excellent, vignetting which improves the picture but isn't easy to detect. Top work.

13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    In Nik Silver Efex, the vingette is just amazing.
    It's adjustable with...
    Size, Intensity and fade. Also, you can adjust the shape from circle to rectangle with an adjustable center point.
    Nuff said!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.