1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Vignetting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LegacyLens, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Vignetting and if you do/don't like it and why I will participate: "I like vignetting because it gives a unique image look and it is is rather old timey looking" Share your reasons!

2. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Recently started using vignette in aperture 3 and have been struck by how it can subtly enhance a shot. Sorry not at my computer but will post before/after examples later.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like adding a subtle vignette or burn in PP as I think it gives the image depth (that 3D pop thing).

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I like vignetting in some images, but in others don't. It depends on the subject and the kind of PP you do. I use vignetting in those photos which I wnat them to look vintage or a little Lomo.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Everything in moderation (including moderation)

• Like Like x 1
  6. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Santa Ana, San Jose, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Vignetting helps keep the viewers eyes from "wandering off the image". It also is a closer approximation to ones normal vision. Your field of vision gradually fades off, there isn't a perfect image right up to an abrupt end. It gradually fades. I often wonder why so much attention is paid to whether a lens has a slight light fall-off at the edges. Some people react like it is the end of the world. Heck, I add it intentionally.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicamini/7326989750/" title="Day Lily by Leica Bill, on Flickr">
    7326989750_38d34fc8a8_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    "1024" height="768" alt="Day Lily"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Vignetting is just reduced resolution, sharpness, and brightness caused by poor exposure at the ends of the frame. For what I do, there's nothing to like about it. ;) 

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    On some images it works well, but I've seen it over-used. A little bit can act as a sort of frame. The use of white for vignette on a sepia photo can give a distinctly old-time look to a photo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me, vignetting can give a nice effect in some instances, but it's not something I generally go for. I don't enjoy shooting with a lens that suffers from heavy vignetting, as I figure I am not using my full sensor and thus am leaving megapixels on the table. I'd rather add a little vignetting in PP if I feel that the photo calls for it (generally only if it's a very "sentimental" image).

10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Bill, fabulous shot!

11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Hi LegacyLens. Please set up a gallery so we can see what you are doing.

Also pm me a list of of your lenses and mounts. I may be getting rid of some stuff in the near future.

12. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Ok here are the shots I mentioned....two sets. The changes are subtle but I think they make the second shots "pop" more.
    pre-vignetting:
    P5254468orig.JPG

with vignetting and a slight crop:
    P5254468.jpg

pre-vignetting:
    PC061359orig.JPG

with vignetting, slight crop and WB adjustment:
    PC061359.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.