Vignetting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LegacyLens, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Vignetting and if you do/don't like it and why I will participate: "I like vignetting because it gives a unique image look and it is is rather old timey looking" Share your reasons!

2. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Recently started using vignette in aperture 3 and have been struck by how it can subtly enhance a shot. Sorry not at my computer but will post before/after examples later.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like adding a subtle vignette or burn in PP as I think it gives the image depth (that 3D pop thing).

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I like vignetting in some images, but in others don't. It depends on the subject and the kind of PP you do. I use vignetting in those photos which I wnat them to look vintage or a little Lomo.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Everything in moderation (including moderation)

• Like Like x 1
  6. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Vignetting helps keep the viewers eyes from "wandering off the image". It also is a closer approximation to ones normal vision. Your field of vision gradually fades off, there isn't a perfect image right up to an abrupt end. It gradually fades. I often wonder why so much attention is paid to whether a lens has a slight light fall-off at the edges. Some people react like it is the end of the world. Heck, I add it intentionally.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicamini/7326989750/" title="Day Lily by Leica Bill, on Flickr"> 7326989750_38d34fc8a8_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Day Lily"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Vignetting is just reduced resolution, sharpness, and brightness caused by poor exposure at the ends of the frame. For what I do, there's nothing to like about it. ;)

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    On some images it works well, but I've seen it over-used. A little bit can act as a sort of frame. The use of white for vignette on a sepia photo can give a distinctly old-time look to a photo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    To me, vignetting can give a nice effect in some instances, but it's not something I generally go for. I don't enjoy shooting with a lens that suffers from heavy vignetting, as I figure I am not using my full sensor and thus am leaving megapixels on the table. I'd rather add a little vignetting in PP if I feel that the photo calls for it (generally only if it's a very "sentimental" image).

10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Bill, fabulous shot!

11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Hi LegacyLens. Please set up a gallery so we can see what you are doing.

Also pm me a list of of your lenses and mounts. I may be getting rid of some stuff in the near future.

12. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Ok here are the shots I mentioned....two sets. The changes are subtle but I think they make the second shots "pop" more.
    pre-vignetting:
    P5254468orig.JPG
    with vignetting and a slight crop:
    P5254468.

pre-vignetting:
    PC061359orig.JPG
    with vignetting, slight crop and WB adjustment:
    PC061359.