Vignetting due to step-down adapter

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Crigstar, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    Hey team,
    I'm on a budget and also want to minimize the stuff I carry about.
    My P14 2.5 and P20 1.7 both have a filter diameter of 46mm, which is a lot bigger than the front element.
    And I have another two lenses with a filter diameter of 37mm.
    Can anyone advise if I will experience vignetting if I use a 37mm filter with an adapter on those Panasonic lenses?
    My gut feel is 'no' but I welcome any real-world experience or mathematical skills you all have.
    Cheers,

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why not just get 46mm filters and use a step-up filter ring for the 37mm?

I personally carry mostly 77mm and 60mm and use a variety of step-ups. Much better than step down filter rings.

3. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    Thanks, that would be the smart thing to do.
    The main reason not to is that it stops me using lens hoods.

4. usayit

Ah...

If you get all your lenses to use 46mm filters then you can buy cheap 46mm filter mount hoods..

• Like Like x 1
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Yes, that's the answer! :smile:

6. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    I agree that new hoods is a solution. And it just might be a better solution for a polarizing filter as I can rotate the hood which is easier than taking off the bayonet hood to adjust the angle.
    Thanks for the tip.
    But, still curious a to whether vignetting would occur with the step-down. I might have to break the calculator out and do some trig.
    Thanks.

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wouldn't know where to start with a calculation. To be sure, do you have a local dealer who stocks step down rings and would let you try one?

8. usayit

The issue is that I presume you will be using the step down ring for a multitude of lenses you either already own or will own in the future. Each time, you will have the same darn consideration... will I vignette on this lens or that lens etc.

The real long term solution is to only use step up rings.

PS... 37 step down on the 20mm? My guess is highly unlikely. On the 14mm I'm guessing it might but its going to be slight and easily corrected in post.

9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It will also depend on the thickness of the filter, i.e. a polarizer might be more prone to vignetting than other filters.

10. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I use a variety of step-up and down rings, and rarely have I had a problem. All mine I get cheap of Ebay. (I try to only buy from USA dealers, for time sake). I have a couple of 49mm threaded hoods, that I use on 3 different lenses, using adapters, as well as a couple of close up screw-in filters.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That's what I have done but I have standardized on 52mm.

The reason for this is that for years Nikon SLR film camera lenses were standardized on 52mm. I had everything from 24mm to 200mm that took the same size filters. My local camera dealer has boxes full of used 52mm hoods, caps, and filters. Lots of fun to paw through and very cheap to buy and try. 52mm is also one of the most popular sizes on eBay.

Here's an example snap-in aluminum Nikon hood on an Oly first series 14-42mm, which has an oddball 40.5mm filter thread:

Oly_Shade_1_of_2_.

The hood will reverse on the lens and will take a 52mm cap in normal or reversed position. In this case I have cut the hood down to avoid vignetting. I happen to have a metal lathe so it was pretty easy but you can do the same thing with a belt sander and get exactly what you want.

12. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    Thanks guys, this is great info. I agree that going with 52mm will probably give me the best and most inexpensive options. I think 52mm is the size of my 9-50 (expected this week) as well as the Canon 50mm f1.4 i have adapted.
    By the way, I broke out the calculator and estimate that with the 14mm lens I can go out to 15.6mm from the front element before vignetting will occur with a 37mm filter, so that should not be an issue. I measured the front element as 18mm and applied a 75 degree angle of view to come up with that number. (I'm open to challenges or validation on this!)
    Thanks for the ideas. This forum rocks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crigstar

Crigstar New to Mu-43

May 20, 2012
    Houston TX USA
    Tony
    Correction, I meant 12-50, not 9-50. It's coming with the OM-D.