1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vignette or not ....

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by zettapixel, Jun 9, 2013.

1. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Made this photo of my daughter today and then added vignetting, thought it would be better. Now when I switch between them, can't decide.
    Of course, as the father, I will like it either way, so what do you think?
    Vignette, not, doesn't matter?
    Appreciate C&C.

[​IMG]

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    The non-vignette says "Content Protected by Owner" instead of a pic. However, on the vignetted one, I think I'd like it better if it were softened up a bit. It seems like a pretty sharp transition. Beautiful shot and subject either way!

3. I'm not so much into computer generated framing, so I'd go without. The image doesn't need any embellishment IMO.

4. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I already noticed and removed protection. Should work now...

Interesting, I actually though it wasn't that sharp. I'll try that, thanks for the advice.

Thank you very much.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Nice shot! I prefer without vignette.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Yeah, it's a subtle difference for me. In my experience, I personally tend to prefer vignette when it adds to the impact or feel of the photo, but you don't really notice it unless you're looking critically at the photo, if that makes sense.. I usually add until I feel the maximum impact but back off when it goes from adding to the feel and just becomes an obvious frame or circle.

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I played around a little. The more I played, the more distracting I found the bokeh of the flowers in the background so I cropped a bit and added a subtler vignette. To me it's the difference between adding a dreamy quality to the photo and adding a frame. I prefer the former.

-Zach

p1864763291-4.JPG

8. I have never been a fan of light vignettes...I prefer the darker vignette used subtley. I guess that comes from my darkroom days when we would "burn in" the corners becuase of vignetting by the enlarger. I prefer zpierce's version above.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't think the negative/white vignette adds anything to the photo, and it actually bleeds into the center and makes it look less contrasty. Overall I find the first version much more pleasing and I agree with the others: it doesn't need any embellishment :smile:

10. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Much prefer the first.I would maybe soften the verticle bars above her head, and crop tighter.

11. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I too prefer the non-vignetted version. Maybe crop a little top and more at the bottom.
    Good shot.

12. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    It's a beautiful picture. great composition. The vignetting detracts.

13. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    IMO, your second crop is the better option my a country mile.

The white vignette cheapens the shot for me. It looks like a generic Photoshop, or even one of those supermarket photo printing machine, efforts. A dark vignette would soften the edges nicely and more naturally, but I think you've got the best option with the crop

14. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Thank you everyone for comments and ideas!
    Looks like white vignetting is out.
    I agree, bokeh is not that good, will definitely try tighter crops, although I tried to preserve as many flowers as possible...

15. Jon MS3

Jon MS3 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Agree with most everyone else. Not interested in white vignette and this solidifies that. Go w/o.

16. Jon MS3

Jon MS3 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    And, great shot w/o.